News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

Hi Matty

Lt dR Otto Hansen scored an aerial victory in FFA 62 in July 1915. For this he received the EKI in August 1915, but now he served in FFA 5. He did not receive the Hohenzollern so this must be another Hansen ! However he lster received the AR2ms. For the victory he received the EB (Ehrenbecher) on 24.12.1915.

During WW2 he became an Oberst

Gunnar

On 26/05/2023 at 22:19, Soderbaum said:

Hi Matty

Lt dR Otto Hansen scored an aerial victory in FFA 62 in July 1915. For this he received the EKI in August 1915, but now he served in FFA 5. He did not receive the Hohenzollern so this must be another Hansen ! However he lster received the AR2ms. For the victory he received the EB (Ehrenbecher) on 24.12.1915.

During WW2 he became an Oberst

Gunnar

Hello, Gunnar! Is this the right Otto Hansen? What does AR2ms (... mit Schwertern) stand for? Thanks, Andreas

"HANSEN, Otto. 01.10.39 promo to Obstlt.; at LKS Dresden. 07.04.43 in XIII. Fliegerkorps area, trf to Führer-Reserve Ob.d.L. and ordered to Annahmestelle 2 für Offz.Bewerber d.Lw. on temporary duty. 01.07.43 permanently trf to Annahmestelle 2 für Offizierbewerber d.Lw. 01.06.44 promo to Oberst. 1944 in Annahmestelle 2 für Offizier-Bewährung d.Lw. 31.03.45 Oberst (Tr.O.) in Flieger-Ers.Btl. V, released from active military service."

Edited by Deutschritter

AR2 is the Saxon way of abbreviating the Albrechts-Orden, Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse; same as SA3b in the system used in most Prussian, Marine and Reichswehr sources. And yes, "mS" would be "mit Schwertern."

Similarly, AC2 is the SA2b, AR1 the SA3a, and VR2 the SV3b. AO is the Offizierkreuz (SA3).

Schmidt-Hern from FAR 74 is Werner, *23.1.1875 in Mülhausen in Elsaß.

He was wounded in 1914 as Fhr. 3./FAR 74. In January 1915, he took his battery to RFAR 67 where it became 5./RFAR 67. He was wounded again in 1915. He does not appear in the regimental history after that point, so I don't know where he went afterwards.

As an RFAR 67 officer in the Gorlice-Tarnow offensive, he also received the ÖM3K.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hptm.d.R. Waldschmidt from FAR 94 is Johann Carl Otto, *22.6.1870 in Wetzlar, †1.7.1956 ebenda. He was a Regierungsbaumeister and later a Kreisbaurat in Schlawe. He was a Hptm.d.R. (Schlawe) of the 2.GFAR. Like Schmidt-Hern above, he became a Batterie-Führer in RFAR 67 (4. Batterie) in January 1915 and led the battery through the fighting in Galicia and Russia in 1915. I have no idea when he went to FAR 94. His known decorations are the HOH3X, EK1&2, LD1 and ÖM3K.

With the Wetzlar connection, I assume he was related to the active officer Richard Waldschmidt from FAR 15. The Lt.d.R. of FAR 15 killed in August 1914 was also Otto Waldschmidt, born in Wetzlar. So maybe the two FAR 15 officers were brothers and the other Otto a cousin?

Since I am mentioning RFAR 67 officers, I will also add that Richard Blume, the Hauptmann/Major from the Bekleidungsamt of the VI. Armeekorps, was commander of the I. Abteilung of RFAR 67 from January 1915 until 23.5.1915, when he returned to the Bekleidungsamt. He also received the ÖM3K for his service at Gorlice.

H. J. Zimmermann from Remscheid - I guess this is the Josef Zimmermann from FAA 253.

Remscheider Zeitung, 30.11.1917

zimmerm.png

We've got him already: Hptm Franz Funke from Haddenbach 

Remscheider Zeitung, 25.9.1918

funke.png

Edited by webr55

Dr. med. Alfred Zimmermann (1881-1931), later Professor at University of Kiel. 

"Ritter des ... Hohenzollernordens". Not in our list yet.

Rhein- und Ruhrzeitung, 13.1.1931

zimmermann.png

Prof.Dr. Alfred Zimmermann is either an error or a later peacetime Hausorden from the former ruling house. Zimmermann was a Privatdozent and professor in Halle from 1912 to 1920. University records show him with the EK2, RKM3 and BZ3bX. A Baden native, he received the BZ3bX on 13.12.1917 as an AA d.L. I, Feldlazarett Nr. 287.

From Schalke: This must be the Hptm dR Krug from RIR 230 who got the HHOX in October 1917. I don't have the first name, but it should be possible to find it. 

Schalke Zeitung, 3.11.1917

krug.png

No first name here, but the Lt dR Kortmann was from Villigst:

Schwerter Zeitung, 11.5.1918

kortman.png

Edited by webr55

The Lt v. Unruh who received the HHOX in early June 1918 is Oskar von Unruh, student of theology. He got it on his deathbed:

There is an article that featured several candidates of theology who were KIA in "Sonntagsblatt für Minden / Die evangelische Welt", 1938:

unruh2.png

unruh3.png

Edited by webr55

Again: Lt dR Jülicher from RIR 67. I had him already last year as Martin, 1893-1963, teacher, but I couldn't find the info anymore. But acc. to VL born 6.5.1893 in München-Gladbach (today Mönchengladbach).

From Sprecher am Niederrhein, 13.7.1918

jülicher.png

Lt Wiggert is Adolf, from Münchehagen. Born 25.7.1889 acc. to VL. 

Stolzenauer Wochenblatt, 29.6.1918

wiggert.png

Edited by webr55

Interesting find: the "Tecklenburger Landbote", 10.4.1937, lists the recipients of the HHOX and the Golden MVK from the region, including a photo from their meeting.

We already had Deiters, (Hermann) Glandorf and (Franz) Schencking (who received the award personally from Ludendorff). Pastor Herring, Lt dR from IR 74, living in "Wersen", is listed without first name, but he is probably Paul Herring, born in Iserlohn. A Pfarrer Paul Herring in Wersen is mentioned here: https://www.wn.de/muensterland/kreis-steinfurt/lotte/alt-aber-voller-schwung-1468142?&npg.

herring.png

herring2.png

Included were some general remarks about the HHOX and other awards:

herring3.png

Edited by webr55

10 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

Possibly Albert or Albin Kortmann. From Dortmunder Zeitung 25.6.1915. Might be the guy promoted to Lt dR in IR 175 on 22.3.1915. 

Dortmunder 25.6.15.JPG

Ah! Yes that must be him! Certainly Albert. 

Dear all, I pulled out all the boxes today and made an overview of the Hohenzollern bars that as far as I know either have not been shown before or a very long time ago. Would love to hear if there are any possibilities for identification. Best. Peter

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

First name - Major (later Oberstleutnant aD) Adolf Seyfert, from IR 85. Born 1871 in Danzig - he can be found on Ancestry. His EK1 appears in the Posener Tageblatt 03.09.1915 (Nr 411). 

The Luftwaffe bar might have belonged to Generalmajor Hans Hasse (1878-1968). It looks like he came in a bit too late for the Centenary. I have no proof for the Hamburg though, maybe Dave has more. 

2 hours ago, webr55 said:

The Luftwaffe bar might have belonged to Generalmajor Hans Hasse (1878-1968). It looks like he came in a bit too late for the Centenary. I have no proof for the Hamburg though, maybe Dave has more. 

Can you give us any information about Johann "Hans" Hasse (if you find the time)? Maybe his WWI decorations? Maybe a picture? Any relation to General der Infanterie Wilhelm Otto Oswald Hasse? He is one of those generals where one can find very little about (he seems to have translated this book: https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=10390935058). Thank you! 

Edited by Deutschritter

On 04/06/2023 at 16:03, Mattyboy said:

First name - Major (later Oberstleutnant aD) Adolf Seyfert, from IR 85. Born 1871 in Danzig - he can be found on Ancestry. His EK1 appears in the Posener Tageblatt 03.09.1915 (Nr 411). 

:jumping:

his entry in the 1914 rank list:

Seyfert.png

Edited by drspeck

It's not Hans Hasse. His known decorations are:

10.09.1913 KO4
    30.09.1914 EK2
    27.07.1915 EK1
    04.06.1918 HOH3X
    03.11.1914 ÖM3K
    xx.12.1915 ÖEK3K
    18.01.1917 ÖL3K
    24.11.1916 BMV4X

He entered the army on 1.4.1897, so no Centenary Medal.