News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wow, those are some of the most important German orders that can be found.

Thank you for the pictures!

A shame some of the pictures in the old threads got lost. Wasn't (isn't) there also a Baden house order breast star with Garter at the Veste Coburg, or is my memory playing tricks on me? If it's not published in this thread, maybe there is none...

Edited by saschaw

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

If there was, I don't have a picture. Here are the other missing images.

Thank you so much for bringing them back! It was the "brillantiert" star I was referring to, so my mind did play tricks on me indeed. This makes the one "gartered" Fidelitas star Thies auctioned in his US house to only one known to me... and that was apparent fake, and offered as such.

• 2 weeks later...

The garter star (order of St. George) of King George V of Hannover auctioned in 2017. Does anybody remember for how much it was sold, cause like so often with these high end pieces the result is missing. 40 000€ was the starting price

It is so beautiful and perfectly made - i could look at these images for 1 hour straight.

image.thumb.png.29a40706f23e7fd766431441a6850925.png

image.thumb.png.9a5f43ef5874edff5a87098bfd50cda6.png

image.thumb.png.a72db0dfa8899aaad72439370613b705.png

image.thumb.png.b96899a40d8eede6a3bb34657146134f.png

5 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

The garter star (order of St. George) of King George V of Hannover auctioned in 2017. Does anybody remember for how much it was sold, cause like so often with these high end pieces the result is missing. 40 000€ was the starting price

Do you know which auction house sold it?

13 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

It is so beautiful and perfectly made - i could look at these images for 1 hour straight.

As could I. The gartered St. George star of King George V of Hanover was possibly one of, if not the best German decoration that was for sale in the past years.

It was at Hermann Historica, Munich, offered in their 74th auction, May 2017, with a starting price of 40,000 Euro - and remained unsold. It the was re-listed in their following 75th auction, November 2017, at 25,000.- Euro. After a bidder fight, it went for 36,000.- Euro plus fees - almost what had been asked previously. And probably not too much, for those who can afford it. I couldn't.

:whistle:

On 11/08/2019 at 22:05, Alex K said:

Great display of decorations, just to add for info, a few more with the garter, all from the Royal collection

Thanks for the additional pictures of these Royal treasures! I especially love the half-sized ones... so damn cute!

However, one picture was added by mistake: The Red Eagle Order 1st class star. This doesn't have a Garter, but the ribbon of the Prussian Royal Crown Order, a feature in use only from 1860s to 1880s to signify the wearer held both 1st classes of mentioned orders. Also, from the picture, it rather looks like one of Andreas Thies' offerings, none from the Royal Collection. However, those are almost as rare to find as gartered stars!

Edited by saschaw

Here is an example from the Dutch Palace 'Het Loo' , one of the largest phaleristic museums of europe. The Ludwigsorden with garter belonged to Ludwig III of Hesse-Darmstadt (1806-1877). The star was made by Martinus Schnitzspahn between 1865 and 1877.

Kind regards, Laurentius

20190825_133918.jpg

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:52, saschaw said:

As could I. The gartered St. George star of King George V of Hanover was possibly one of, if not the best German decoration that was for sale in the past years.

It was at Hermann Historica, Munich, offered in their 74th auction, May 2017, with a starting price of 40,000 Euro - and remained unsold. It the was re-listed in their following 75th auction, November 2017, at 25,000.- Euro. After a bidder fight, it went for 36,000.- Euro plus fees - almost what had been asked previously. And probably not too much, for those who can afford it. I couldn't.

:whistle:

Thanks for the additional pictures of these Royal treasures! I especially love the half-sized ones... so damn cute!

However, one picture was added by mistake: The Red Eagle Order 1st class star. This doesn't have a Garter, but the ribbon of the Prussian Royal Crown Order, a feature in use only from 1860s to 1880s to signify the wearer held both 1st classes of mentioned orders. Also, from the picture, it rather looks like one of Andreas Thies' offerings, none from the Royal Collection. However, those are almost as rare to find as gartered stars!

Hi yes I didn't spot my mistake until after I'd posted them, however I thought it was worth a look at, I'd have it in my collection:D

The reduced sizes ones are amazingly cute!

A couple more shots, (one not so good), Imperial Russian order of St Andrew

Russian Order of St. Andrewgarter copy.JPG

The Russian Order of St. Andrewgarter.JPG

Edited by Alex K

The Danish Order of the Elephant. I believe the Queen has 2 versions - during a state visit from Britain a few years ago she contemplated wearing one of them, but gave up the idea due to the small enamel damage on both stars.

(Photo: Jakub Kaja on Wikimedia)

Star_of_the_Order_of_the_Elephant_and_the_Garter.jpg

6 hours ago, Great Dane said:

The Danish Order of the Elephant. I believe the Queen has 2 versions - during a state visit from Britain a few years ago she contemplated wearing one of them, but gave up the idea due to the small enamel damage on both stars.

(Photo: Jakub Kaja on Wikimedia)

Star_of_the_Order_of_the_Elephant_and_the_Garter.jpg

Interesting, Couldn't she afford to have them repaired?

Hi, my comments were slightly tongue in cheek:D:whistle: To us collectors they are a dream, however, to the Royals, they may be seen as being more "Tools of the trade", where diplomacy is more important than historical value, I suspect that with the Order of the Garter for instance, when a recipient dies, the insignia are returned to the Central Chancellery for re-issue, to the next incumbent, inspection and repair would be carried out, the oldest so far I believe (Based on a TV documentary) a set still in use since the 18th Century,

regards

On 22/08/2019 at 10:52, saschaw said:

However, one picture was added by mistake: The Red Eagle Order 1st class star. This doesn't have a Garter, but the ribbon of the Prussian Royal Crown Order, a feature in use only from 1860s to 1880s to signify the wearer held both 1st classes of mentioned orders. (...) However, those are almost as rare to find as gartered stars!

An exact opposite piece to the star that has been shown here (by mistake) was offered on German ebay last week: A 1st class badge of the Prussian Royal Crown Order with the enamel ribbon of the Red Eagle Order. Being one of the numerous modern fakes from the 1970s or 1980s in my eyes, it remained unsold. Others apparently felt the same about it...

5 hours ago, Alex K said:

Found this version in my files, a bit different, can't vouch for its authenticity but post for appraisal, Saxe Ernestine House order

Thanks, Alex, for the additional picture! This one seems to be of very poor craftsmanship, and I really doubt it would have been worn by a Royal in the old days... maybe still good for a filler in the collection.

;)

2 hours ago, saschaw said:

Thanks, Alex, for the additional picture! This one seems to be of very poor craftsmanship, and I really doubt it would have been worn by a Royal in the old days... maybe still good for a filler in the collection.

;)

Yes I spotted that it doesn't have the sparkle, the others have, perhaps a one off private purchase, or a fake, who knows, pity I don't have a shot of the reverse

Just to update the thread, was having a rummage on my hard-drive and came across this, not a star but the complimentary badge for the Anhalt Order of Albrecht the Bear, from the British Royal collection trust I think

original.jpg