News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

It is with great sadness that I report that I received a call from Lorraine Colson earlier this evening informing me that our friend, Tony, died this afternoon. Although I do not believe that Tony had an opportunity to participate in this forum, I know that many members knew him well. Sadness precludes further comment.

Respectfully,

Wild Card

Hi WC, sadly, another giant leaves us with his memory and his legacy...... as with George & Eric, the furrow they plowed for the rest of us to follow will continue to bear fruit and their memory and purpose will always be remembered.

You have my deepest sympathies. Tony & his family will be remembered in my thoughts and in my prayers.

I will miss Tony's knowledge, humor and counsel and will treasure those items from his collection that are now in mine.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family.

He was a gentleman in the truest sense of word.

Edited by Bob Hunter

Although I never met him, I read many of his articles, especially his ones about veteran association medals. He was a scholar and a gent..

As Stogieman says, we are losing many of the 'giants' of the field.

My condolences to his family. :(

This is truely sad news. I have had the pleasure of talking with Tony about Veteran items and can proudly say that it was an honor to know him. His pieces that made there way into my collection will have a honored spot. I only wish we could have explored the veteran road together more. All my thoughts and best wishes to his family. Mike

Guest Rick Research

Like most of George's circle, I had only spoken to Tony by phone and email before his long, hard final illness. My deepest sympathies are with his family. My sadness is lightened by acceptance of the fact that his long suffering is over at last.

The "top guys" in Imperial German collecting were always quiet, dedicated, serious men-- none of the flash and noise and showboating we so often accept as "normal" in the Third Reich high enders. But also unlike the Wallet Collectors, they recognized and welcomed the fellowship and spirit of shared common interest, across all lines of age and income.

Tony and his peers had CLASS.

It was my privilege to circle in their orbit for pretty close to 30 years, drawn in by research and shared good company-- even by mail, or phone in those not so long ago days "pre-computer" (none of the circle were ever Internet guys). If you know of any other branch of our hobby where the world leaders accept "kids" as one of their own, I've never heard of it.

NONE of these friends left us when they should have-- all called away before their times. This generation should not have already passed, and we who are left are not and can not compensate for the knowledge they took away with them. As an apprentice, my training has been cut off before it was complete, and now can never be completed without their friendship and guidance and experience.

An era is passing.

Tony will be missed.

My thought and prayers go out to the family. This pass spring Tony accepted me intohis circle of friends and I greatly enjoyed him company and friendship. I will miss him! He was a true friend and a wonderfull man!

Like most of George's circle, I had only spoken to Tony by phone and email before his long, hard final illness. My deepest sympathies are with his family. My sadness is lightened by acceptance of the fact that his long suffering is over at last.

The "top guys" in Imperial German collecting were always quiet, dedicated, serious men-- none of the flash and noise and showboating we so often accept as "normal" in the Third Reich high enders. But also unlike the Wallet Collectors, they recognized and welcomed the fellowship and spirit of shared common interest, across all lines of age and income.

Tony and his peers had CLASS.

It was my privilege to circle in their orbit for pretty close to 30 years, drawn in by research and shared good company-- even by mail, or phone in those not so long ago days "pre-computer" (none of the circle were ever Internet guys). If you know of any other branch of our hobby where the world leaders accept "kids" as one of their own, I've never heard of it.

NONE of these friends left us when they should have-- all called away before their times. This generation should not have already passed, and we who are left are not and can not compensate for the knowledge they took away with them. As an apprentice, my training has been cut off before it was complete, and now can never be completed without their friendship and guidance and experience.

An era is passing.

Tony will be missed.

Well said, Rick.

Gerd

I am sad to hear of Tony's passing.

I had heard about his hospitalisation and wished him well.

( i did not know him personally i am sad to say)

As many of the gents have said...

A True Gentleman and a scholar.

He will be missed indeed!

RIP Tony

My thoughts are with his family.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Tony was truly a knowledgeable collector. This is very sad. Kept expecting to see him back for another bit of knowledge.

It is with my deepest sympathy for his family that I say good bye to Tony. His family is in my prayers. His knowledge will be missed.

Very sad news! I have been waiting for an E-mail from Tony to say he was back. I will miss him as we all will.

From Boston.com:

Of Alexandria, VA, age 61, formerly a resident of Brighton and Brookline, "Tony" died on Friday, November 11, 2005. He is survived by his wife, Lorraine, and sisters Patricia Ross, Kathleen Godden-Kent and Mary Colson (of Natick). He was born in Los Angeles, grew up in Rome, Italy, and lived in the Boston area from (1962 to 1974) where he graduated from Boston College and the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts. He spent the last 27 years in Alexandria, VA where he was an analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency. He retired in January 2004. Services will be held at Ft. Myer Chapel on Thursday, December 29, 2005 at 10:45 a.m. with interment at Arlington National Cemetery. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made in his name to Boston College Night School or to a charity of choice. Arrangements by Everly-Wheatly Funeral Home, ALEXANDRIA, VA.

Published in the Boston Globe on 11/16/2005.

And from CICentre.com:

John Anthony 'Tony' Colson/Intelligence Analyst

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Anthony "Tony" Colson, 61, retired senior intelligence analyst for the Defense Intelligence Agency, died Nov. 11 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington after cancer surgery in July.

Mr. Colson, an Alexandria resident, worked at DIA from 1978 to 2004. His areas of expertise included the Middle East and Latin America.

He was born in Los Angeles and raised in Rome and Brighton, Mass. After Army service, he graduated from Boston College, from which he also received a master's degree in Russian and East European history.

He received master's degrees in international relations from Tufts University's Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and in romance languages from the University of Georgia.

He was fluent in Italian, Spanish, French and German, and he occasionally served as an interpreter for foreign delegations.

He was a member of the Orders and Medals Society of America, a nonprofit group dedicated to the collection and preservation of military and civilian decorations.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Lorraine Snow Colson of Alexandria; three sisters; and a half brother.