News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Glory Medals

Guest Darrell

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Gerd,

research is on my list, but it is not the fist point. At first I want to research another group.

Wild Card, the gold is so strong, because the center is replated. The veteran replated the gold. You

can see that some scratches and holes are replated with gold. But it seems that this was done a longer

time ago, because the gold shows again some honest wearing traces.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

He received his Glory 3rd class on 20 February 1945, 2nd class on 31 May 1945

and 1st class on 20 December 1951. I am sorry that I cannot properly translate

the more detailed information; but hope that this little bit is helpful.

His three numbers were:

1st Class: 1168

2nd Class: 19286

3rd Class: 297869

He entered the Red Army in November 1942 and was on the front in December 1942. He was a gunner in an SU-57 attached to the 22nd Self-Propelled Artillery Brigade (4th Tank Army, 1st Ukrainian Front.) Interestingly, he was awarded two 3rd Class Glories (one on 15 October 44, the second on 20 Feb 45) and a 2nd Class on 31 May 1945. It was his second 3rd Class that was traded in for the 1st Class on 20 December 1951. He was demobilized in 1945 and worked as an administrator in a movie theater in Padolsk. Ironically, Padolsk is home to the Archives of the Russian Ministry of Defense - the mecca for reserching awards!

Dave

Here is the only 2. Class Order of Glory I have. I am still not 100% sure if it is a real 2. class and not a gilded 3. class. It is the thin variation as mentioned above with the serial number 7943. No traces of a removed higher serial are visible.

• 3 months later...

It seems that some collectors turn their noses up at this Order, but I for one find it to be very attractive, especially when mounted on a bar. Given the escalating prices of a First Class, a Second/Third still seem to be a very nice value for a very nice award.

Oh...my...God! :speechless1:

?Ya know...., I don't know doodly about Russki Commie Gouvna, but I just get such a chuckle everytime the pretentious "Order of Glory" name hits the index page I just had to come and look. Nice stuff guys & gals!? - written by a fellow Forum member on 17 August 2005. :mad:

?It seems that some collectors turn their noses up at this Order, but I for one find it to be very attractive, especially when mounted on a bar. Given the escalating prices of a First Class, a Second/Third still seem to be a very nice value for a very nice award.? - written by the same member on 4 February 2006. :love:

Now I?m not going to mention any names; but talk about a slide down the slippery slope of the Soviet!! :jumping:

Edited by Wild Card

Oh...my...God! :speechless1:

?Ya know...., I don't know doodly about Russki Commie Gouvna, but I just get such a chuckle everytime the pretentious "Order of Glory" name hits the index page I just had to come and look. Nice stuff guys & gals!? - written by a fellow Forum member on 17 August 2005. :mad:

?It seems that some collectors turn their noses up at this Order, but I for one find it to be very attractive, especially when mounted on a bar. Given the escalating prices of a First Class, a Second/Third still seem to be a very nice value for a very nice award.? - written by the same member on 23 February 2006. :love:

Now I?m not going to mention any names; but talk about a slide down the slippery slope of the Soviet!! :jumping:

Now, THAT'S funny.

Guest Rick Research

The real funny thing is that most of us ... slipped into Soviet collecting... over the enamel work quality.

That's what got me (and being able to read things from CW days)... so to my mind, the scruffy, dingy, faded, massively faked, easily mistaken for mere grime :sleep: of flat, dull, boringly designed Glories 2nd is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

It's a shame awards so important were made so dreadfully poorly that they can often be mistaken for dirty 3rds... and ARE often faked from same!

Any award so cheaply and casually made that they can often only be identified ONLY by taking calipers to the thickness or whatever just to make sure the serial number is correct...

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Or maybe is it just the learning curve of someone who discovers the wonderful research that can be linked from those mysterious numbers on an ugly and unloved Order of Glory, 3rd class.

Very different from the lovely pieces of jewlers' craft that come as Imperial German or Imperial Russian orders. Pretty baubles, nice eye candy, but zero history.

Footnote: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2329

Or maybe is it just the learning curve of someone who discovers the wonderful research that can be linked from those mysterious numbers on an ugly and unloved Order of Glory, 3rd class.

Very different from the lovely pieces of jewlers' craft that come as Imperial German or Imperial Russian orders. Pretty baubles, nice eye candy, but zero history.

Footnote: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2329

Not to mention those millions of anonymous Third Reich pieces.

I love Glory 3rds, and used to own about 300 of them at one time... :cheers: (Of course, I sold almost all of them RIGHT BEFORE the price on them shot up. Damn! :angry: )

Anyway, I've reasearched quite a few and am adding their citations onto a single page on my website. I'll keep adding to it as I find more citations (I have several hundred translated citations on my computer... it just takes time to find them all!) If you'd like to take a read, here's the link:

Researched Glory Thirds

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone let me know the going rate for a 3rd class award in todays market?

thanks

andy

They can vary tremendously depending on type, serial number, era, etc. A Major New Jersey Dealer has singles in the range of $130-49. A Major Trustworthy New York Dealer (more in touch with reality) has them at $35.

PM me if you need names and URLs.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

That is a VERY nice improvized double suspension device-- a personal touch for the proud recipient.

Modelling unfortunate recycled squirrel road kill toupee haircuts (apparently all barbers were kulaks) circa 1949, on the left is "Cavalier" of All Three Glories

[attachmentid=8446]

Guards Junior Sergeant (!!!) Vladimir (Illegible)ovich Zaripov, 70th Guards Self-propelled Artillery Brigade, 4th Tank Army, 1st Ukrainian Front 1945" is handwritten on back. He is wearing Victory Over Germany on the same suspension device (so 4 identical ribbons in a row), then loose Capture of Berlin, Liberation of Prague, and the 1948 Jubilee.

Only 2,620 enlisted men and Junior Lieutenants received all three Glories. I have no other information on Zaripov, but his bravery certainly did not earn him promotions, even as one of the minimal career cadre NCOs years after the war. His horrifically scarred unnamed friend is the same rank with nothing but a VOG and the 1948.

"Cavaliers" at least received extra privileges of real value, such as housing preferment and 15% salary increases.

Rick,

A bit of clarification ref Guards Jr. Sgt Zaripov:

- We can date the photo to sometime on/after 1948. Understanding that he was demob'ed in 1945 and that his Glory 1st Class wasn't officially awarded (in exchange for a double Glory 3rd Class) until 1951, it's clear why he remained a Jr. Sgt. As he was no longer on active duty, he was not eligible for the advancement in rank that accompanied elevation to Full Cavalier status. In normal circumstances a Jr. Sgt. would have been advanced to the rank of Starshina (Master Sergeant/Sergeant Major) upon becoming a Full Cavalier. Since he was demob'ed, there was no basis to do so. His rank, if you will, was frozen.

- Ref the photo. It could very well be the case he's wearing the 2nd Class and two 3rd Class Glories he was originally awarded. Since this is a B&W image it's hard to say, but that would be my best guess given the 1951 awarding of his 1st Class Glory. In any event, he's a Full Cavalier.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

slava1stclass