A small, albeit very nice medalbar. I wonder how unique it is? I've seen Romanian orders before on German pre-ww1 bars, but the Order of the Star is an uncommon one to be sure. I can only recall seeing one or two photo's of officers with this particular order. The Romanian Crown Order on the other hand seems to be more common.

Would there be any collectors out there with awardnumbers to German officers?

Kind regards, Laurentius

5 minutes ago, laurentius said:

Wasn't this bar for sale as a modern composition with original ribbons and awards? I might be mistaken but the combination seems a bit outlandish.

Kind regards, Laurentius

It is certainly an 'interesting'/'odd' combination, not quite sure how that could have come together either. 

Well Vince, it looks like the major difference between your bar and Komtur's bar is that Komtur's man, Albert Wiesmann, served in the Prussian Reserves and took part in 4 significant battles during the Franco-Prussian War (that, other than the bow on the RAO, of course.) Great little bar!

Edited by Simius Rex

What I find interesting is that the Order of the Star belonging to Komtur has the swords through the cross, whereas Vince's Order of the Star has the swords on top of the cross, almost like the German 'am Ring'. I know this a stylish decision (like with the BMVOx). Could anyone tell me when this change happened and when? Does Komtur or Vince have the earlier version?

Kind regards, Laurentius

A lovely article about the order, but it doesn't say anything about the swords, rather than that they can be placed on top or through the cross itself. There must be someone out there with the answer.

Kind regards, Laurentius

5 hours ago, graham said:

... Swords on top of the cross were peacetime awards, swords through the cross were wartime awards. ...

Indeed the Romanian decoration of Wiesmann seems to be one of the few wartime awards to Germans. At the time of the Russo-Turkish War in 1877/78, when the Romanians fought on the Russian side, there was a station of the Prussian Feldjäger in Bucharest. Very likely Wiesmann was appointed there at this time. His Romanian wartime decoration was first mentioned in the Prussian rank list of 1881, a quite normal delay between a war, the afterwards occuring awards and the publication of these awards in the rank lists.

The deorations with swords on the top of the cross, as to be seen on the bar shown by Vince, were in contrast awards to military personnel in peacetime.

Geschichte des reitenden Feldjägerkorps Titel.JPG

Geschichte des reitenden Feldjägerkorps S. 154 2.jpg