News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to wear too many 1870/71 Gefechtsspangen...

Hi all! This gentlemen found a nice but rarely (?) seen way to display his 8 Gefechtsspangen on the 70/71 Kriegsdenkmünze. Unfortunately the picture is not sharp enough to read them ? But a nice picture anyway! Taken very likely shortly after the issue of the Zentenarmedaille in 1897. Enjoy!

DSC04298.JPG

DSC04299.jpg

WOW!

I thought it was only possible to get seven.  But somehow he must have "been there" and got that eighth bar. 

Don't misunderstand me....I think the photo and the eight bars are legit.  I just don't know what combination he was able to string together.   I do wish I could read those spange.

On 15/10/2020 at 21:29, Claudius said:

WOW!

I thought it was only possible to get seven.  But somehow he must have "been there" and got that eighth bar. 

Don't misunderstand me....I think the photo and the eight bars are legit.  I just don't know what combination he was able to string together.   I do wish I could read those spange.

@Claudius that sounds really interesting - do you happen to know a source on the highest possible number of Gefechtsspangen one could theoretically reach? Cheers!

5 hours ago, ArHo said:

@Claudius that sounds really interesting - do you happen to know a source on the highest possible number of Gefechtsspangen one could theoretically reach? Cheers!

It's not a regulation limitation.  I had thought it was just a limitation of how many battles a unit could have partaken in that would limit the number of bars a gent could earn.  Insofar as that, I was mistaken on the seven number.  A quick look at this matrix and I see there are two Army Corps that units within and could have a possible eight bars.

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

8 out of 25 possible ... not bad at all! But no EK II??? Was Leo von Bernuth reactivated 1914? Maybe then EK II or even I? Thanks! Do I have the right one: Ludwig August Friedrich Leopold „Leo“ von Bernuth (b. 7 April 1851 in Burtscheid by Aachen)? If yes, his brother was Generalmajor Julius Friedrich Wilhelm Hilmar von Bernuth (1861--1957)?!

Edited by Deutschritter

21 minutes ago, Deutschritter said:

... Was Leo von Bernuth reactivated 1914?

... Do I have the right one: Ludwig August Friedrich Leopold „Leo“ von Bernuth (b. 7 April 1851 in Burtscheid by Aachen)? ...

No.

Yes.

A few years' back, I actually went and broke down Eric Ludvigsen's chart to regimental levels, but my list is incomplete.

For what it is worth, Leo von Bernuth's regiment, UR 5 was not entitled to the GRAVELOTTE-ST. PRIVAT Spange, although it was to the other 7 above. He might have been on a brigade or division staff during that battle, though.

There are a few regiments/battalions entitled to 8 Spangen. FAR 7 was entitled to 9.

Another brother was Otto Wilhelm Gebhard von Bernuth, he fell on 22 August 1914 as Oberstleutnant and Kommandeur 4. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment.

Just now, Dave Danner said:

A few years' back, I actually went and broke down Eric Ludvigsen's chart to regimental levels, but my list is incomplete.

For what it is worth, Leo von Bernuth's regiment, UR 5 was not entitled to the GRAVELOTTE-ST. PRIVAT Spange, although it was to the other 7 above. He might have been on a brigade or division staff during that battle, though.

There are a few regiments/battalions entitled to 8 Spangen. FAR 7 was entitled to 9.

Good evening, Dave, do you happen to know if Leo von Bernuth was given the PKO2 or the RAO2 along with his retirement? Thanks!

These are the decorations I have now listed for Leo von Bernuth, any additions or corrections would be great:

Kaiserliche Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71 mit acht Gefechtsspangen

Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse mit Eichenlaub (BZL3bmE)

Sankt-Annen-Orden, III. Klasse (RA3)

Ehrenritter des Johanniter-Ordens

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse

Greifenorden, Ehrenkreuz (MGrO2c/MG2c)

Zentenarmedaille am 22. März 1897

Gedächtnismedaille für Friedrich Franz III. am 21. April 1897

Albrechts-Orden, Offizierkreuz (SA3)

Erlöser-Orden, Kommandeurkreuz (GE2b)

Rechtsritter des Johanniter-Ordens

Preußischer Kronenorden, III. Klasse

Erinnerungszeichen an die zweite Hochzeit Großherzog Ernst Ludwigs von 1905 (Großherzogtum Hessen)

Roter Adlerorden, III. Klasse mit der Schleife

Großherzoglich Hessischer Verdienstorden, Komtur II. Klasse (HP2b)

Preußischer Kronenorden, II. Klasse am 17. September 1909

Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Kommandeur II. Klasse mit Eichenlaub (BZL2bmE/BZ2bmE), 1911

Rote Kreuz-Medaille (Preußen), III. und II. Klasse

Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe

Dienstauszeichnung „Für treue Mitarbeit“ des Thüringer Landesvereins vom Roten Kreuz, I. Stufe, 1922

Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges ohne Schwerter

Edited by Deutschritter

3 hours ago, dond said:

The bar in the old photo is significantly different the the medal bar shown. 

That stands to reason, doesn't it?

The photo predates the award of the KO2 in 1909. He also received the BZ2bE in 1911 (gazetted in the MWB on 20.4.1911). So he would have removed both the KO3 and the BZ3aE from the medal bar at that point. The medal bar shown also includes the Red Cross-related awards he received in World War I, as well as the removal of the then-enemy Russian order.