News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Nassau Waterloo Veteran (medal bar)

We can see a Prussian forrester of advanced aged in a group of his (former?) colleagues in the province of Hesse-Nassau.

He wears a medal bar with two awards, the first one being with no doubt the Nassau Waterloo medal.

The second is a mystery to me. The size hints to a Nassau life saving medal but it did not have a ribbon with stripses but an all red one.

For illustration purposes only I also attach a similiar medal bar which lacks the second award.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

12 hours ago, CRBeery said:

Looks like a Baden medal based on the suspension.

I agree. However, the Nassauers had similiar suspensions (see pictures).

3 hours ago, David M said:

Why cant I grow a beard like that ?

It seems you have to sacrifice you scalp hair first ;-).

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

That is the coolest pic! Congratulations. Most of the Nassau troops at Waterloo were quite young. Some companies had an average age of 18! Odds are that guy fought at farm on the edge of the battlefield. 

By the way, what is the SDA? 

1 hour ago, Ulsterman said:

That is the coolest pic! Congratulations. Most of the Nassau troops at Waterloo were quite young. Some companies had an average age of 18! Odds are that guy fought at farm on the edge of the battlefield. 

By the way, what is the SDA? 

Thanks! It is actually a familiy picture; one one the gentlemen is a direct ancestor.

Yes, he might indeed have fought at  Hougoumont. Since the contribution of the Nassauers had been somewhat neglected, we placed a plaque there in 2015 for the jubelee.

SDA is the German version of the GMIC. 

7.jpg

_Hougoumont.jpg

Edited by saxcob

17 hours ago, Ulsterman said:

nice! Did the Nasseurs carry their flag that day? I think I read in Haythornwaite they did not. 

The Nassauers did carry their flags at Waterloo. The consequences could be seen until recently when somebody unfortunately felt the need to "restore" them...

Kolb-UnterNassausFahnen.jpg

TEX00248001-002 avant.jpg

TEX00248002.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...
    On 27/11/2020 at 15:11, saxcob said:

[...] the first one being with no doubt the Nassau Waterloo medal.

With all due respect, I tend to disagree: In my eyes, this is a veteran from Hessen-Darmstadt who was involved in the suppression of the democratic revolt in Baden in 1849... the size of the medals, their suspensions and even style of ribbons fits. I also wouldn't assume this man to be extremely old... 

Edited by saschaw

On 27/08/2021 at 22:59, saschaw said:

In my eyes, this is a veteran from Hessen-Darmstadt who was involved in the suppression of the democratic revolt in Baden in 1849.

After having closely examined the original I would now tend to agree.

On 28/08/2021 at 04:24, Bayern said:

Hello , the man is a forester the date of the pic could be fix around 1860 / 1865 , the cut of the litewkas and the trousers , handmade  both , the hat is also of old style with a round top 

The prussian eagle on the hats suggests that this picture was not taken before 1866.

17 hours ago, saxcob said:

After having closely examined the original I would now tend to agree.

The prussian eagle on the hats suggests that this picture was not taken before 1866.

Well , you have the reason , but the pic is not of after the 1870 war