Generalleutnant Hermann Freiherr von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel (1829–1905)

Does anyone have a picture of this General? Here are his promotions and decorations:

2. Mai 1848 Portepee-Fähnrich

30. Mai 1848 Sekondeleutnant

6. November 1858 Premierleutnant

13. Oktober 1859 Hauptmann mit Patent vom 20. September 1859

1. Mai 1870 Major

18. Januar 1875 Oberstleutnant

18. April 1878 Oberst

15. April 1884 Generalmajor

4. August 1888 Generalleutnant

.............................................................................................

Kriegsdenkmünze für den Feldzug 1848/1849

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse mit Schwertern

Erinnerungs-Kreuz für den Feldzug von 1866

Kriegsdenkmünze für Nichtkämpfer 1870/1871

Großherzoglich Hessischer Ludwigsorden, Ritter I. Klasse (GHL3a)

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

Roter Adlerorden, III. Klasse mit der Schleife

Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Kommandeur II. Klasse (BZL2b/BZ2b)

Hausorden der Wendischen Krone, Komturkreuz (MWK2b/MK2b)

Roter Adlerorden, II. Klasse mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern am Ringe am 23. Januar 1887

Preußischer Kronenorden, I. Klasse

Wonderful, thank you so much! Maybe you could also help out with General der Kavallerie Hermann Eduard Louis Oskar Freiherr von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel (1851--1933)? I just posted the topic. Thanks!!!

Edited by Deutschritter
2 hours ago, 03fahnen said:

Here we have a photograph and his biography.

img122.jpg

img123.jpg

img124.jpg

Seeing he did not have the EK II (1870) or the Hohenzollern-Hausorden, what ribbon (Band im Knopfloch) could that be? Was the Orden vom Zähringer Löwen or the Hausorden der Wendischen Krone worn that way? Thank you!

On 25/01/2021 at 03:54, Deutschritter said:

Seeing he did not have the EK II (1870) or the Hohenzollern-Hausorden, what ribbon (Band im Knopfloch) could that be? Was the Orden vom Zähringer Löwen or the Hausorden der Wendischen Krone worn that way? Thank you!

He had an EK2

Here the 1903 ranklist entry

image.png.e0899b7d1becb224e4d72887a216662d.png

Edit:
Ah sorry, that's not his entry but that of General der Kavallerie Hermann Freiherr von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel (1851--1933) mentioned also in the other thread. Is it possible to delete this post?

Edited by Utgardloki
58 minutes ago, Utgardloki said:

He had an EK2

Here the 1903 ranklist entry

image.png.e0899b7d1becb224e4d72887a216662d.png

Edit:
Ah sorry, that's not his entry but that of General der Kavallerie Hermann Freiherr von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel (1851--1933) mentioned also in the other thread. Is it possible to delete this post?

Thanks anyway for trying! I am still hoping to one day find out, what that ribbon (Band im Knopfloch) means.

Edited by Deutschritter

I overread that he had the red eagle 4 with swords. That makes it clear, it is the war ribbon. I guess he got it in 1866?

I think it is better to not link the black-white war ribbon only with the Iron Cross in our minds, but as its own entity, cause it was there before (first with PlM?, the Ordre de la Ordre de la Générosité had a full black ribbon to my knowledge.) and only happens to be the iron cross ribbon, cause it is a war-only decoration.

53 minutes ago, Daniel Krause said:

Only the ribbons of the EK, another prussian war decoration or the lifesaving medal could be worn on the Überrock.

Was the jerusalem cross only worn as full decoration on the Überrock, cause I never saw a picture with only its ribbon being worn on it

Edited by Utgardloki
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Claudio said:

Could be this one the son of the above mentioned?

His dad died (if wikipedia is correct) at the age of thirty. Our Freiherr von Vietnghoff was born in 1829 which would make him a rather young father at age 22. Cousins perhaps?

Kind regards, Laurentius

Posted (edited)

Dear Claudio, please help me out, I am a bit slow today: Is your picture and the Rangliste (what year?) showing General der Kavallerie Hermann Eduard Louis Oskar Freiherr von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel (1851--1933)? Thanks! ... if it is him, I am still looking for WW I awards ... maybe someone can help out.

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/77390-general-der-kavallerie-hermann-freiherr-von-vietinghoff-genannt-scheel-1851-1933/?tab=comments#comment-698028

Edited by Deutschritter
1 hour ago, laurentius said:

His dad died (if wikipedia is correct) at the age of thirty. Our Freiherr von Vietnghoff was born in 1829 which would make him a rather young father at age 22. Cousins perhaps?

Kind regards, Laurentius

I was a married and a father aged 22. So it does happen

7 hours ago, Claudio said:

Has anyone a better image of this officer?

Hi Claudio,

well probably better that one 😄

Regards

Glenn

1495341793_Vietinghoffgen.ScheelHermann.JPG.7ee7bbb03c42634613c28089900c12f3.JPG64667173_vietinghoffgenscheelherm.thumb.jpg.7c3962100ca890f67af5a2b20625a39c.jpg

Hello Claudio, General Hermann Freiherr von Vietinghoff gen. Scheel was not the son of the previous general.

Hermann Freiherr von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel (1829–1905) had 6 children, only two of them pursuing a military career:

- Alfred Alexander Gustav Konrad Guido - Oberstleutnant a. D. (Geb. Wahlstatt 26.06.1856 – Gest. Görlitz 29.01.1933)

- Georg Willibald Gustav Adolf Franz Bernhard - Oberst und Kommandeur der 5. Garde-Infanterie-Brigade

(Geb. Berlin 08.07.1862 – Gefallen bei Poelkappelle vor Ypern 21.09.1916)

Thanks to all, I realised only immediately after I posted that he couldn't have been the son of the above mentioned. The von Vietingshoffs had several branches of their family apparently, even also a Generaloberst in WW2.

I imagine Rick (Lundstrom RIP) would have thrilled to share his "heraldic" knowledge on this subject.

Cheers,

Claudio

Heinrich von Vietinghoff genannt Scheel.jpg

Edited by Claudio