News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for information on old style ribbon bar

Dear all,

I recently picked up this old style ribbon bar at auction. It came with a name (von Alvensleben) but after checking the 1903, 1907 and 1914 Prussian rank lists I have not found a von Alvensleben with this combination, so either I'm looking in the wrong way or spot - maybe needing glasses ? - or it's a different name. Anyone any ideas? Any help much appreciated.

Best. Peter

135A.jpg

135B.jpg

16 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

Hi Peter, 

No Alvensleben.

It belonged to General Georg Hartmann Freiherr THUMB v.NEUBURG

Best,

Daniel

Here are his birth and death dates.

General Georg Hartmann Freiherr THUMB v.NEUBURG (1855-1933)

22 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

Hi Peter, 

No Alvensleben.

It belonged to General Georg Hartmann Freiherr THUMB v.NEUBURG

Best,

Daniel

Daniel, that is a very nice Chritsmas gift, thank you very much :cheers:

Thank you all for the additional information, it's a very nice family name for research :jumping:

Best, Peter

1 hour ago, Daniel Krause said:

...and here you have a fitting face to the bar ?

best,

Daniel

Nice :cheers:

What kind of bandoleer/belt is he wearing by the way across the chest?

Also, does anyone have some more information on von Neuburg? I cannot find him in the Prussian rank lists.

Edited by drspeck

Baron Thumb was a former 2. Garde-Ulanen officer. In Daniel's picture he wears the uniform of a Rittmeister of the Detachement Garde-Jäger zu Pferde of which he was the detachment commander in 1898. The detachment was subordinated to the Leib-Garde-Husaren-Regiment in Potsdam.Thumb.thumb.jpg.ac2a66b3ea25eb5f24a721529784e1ac.jpg

Regards

Glenn

10 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

Baron Thumb was a former 2. Garde-Ulanen officer. In Daniel's picture he wears the uniform of a Rittmeister of the Detachement Garde-Jäger zu Pferde of which he was the detachment commander in 1898. The detachment was subordinated to the Leib-Garde-Husaren-Regiment in Potsdam.Thumb.thumb.jpg.ac2a66b3ea25eb5f24a721529784e1ac.jpg

Regards

Glenn

Nice, thanks Glenn :cheers:

My pleasure.

Not sure why you could not find him the Prussian Ranglisten. This his is final entry in the last peacetime edition of 1914 as the commander of 8. Kavallerie-Brigade. The General (1855-1933) rose to the rank of Generalleutnant (18.6.17) and command of the 4. Kavallerie-Division.

Regards

Glenn

Thum_Gen.thumb.jpg.687f97dca3f1e822f665257cd9c108a8.jpg

Here we can see his fate in 1914, according to the information in the "Rangliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee und des XIII. (Königlich Württembergischen) Armeekorps für 1914"

General Georg Hartmann Freiherr THUMB v.NEUBURG (1855-1933) 10005.jpg

By the way, a wonderful ribbon bar

Coincidence, I have included the same information as Glenn. when his contribution did not appear on my computer. better "there better be more and not that there is less" we say in Spain.

57 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

Not sure why you could not find him the Prussian Ranglisten. This his is final entry in the last peacetime edition of 1914 as the commander of 8. Kavallerie-Brigade. The General (1855-1933) rose to the rank of Generalleutnant (18.6.17) and command of the 4. Kavallerie-Division.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the information. This is the entry of his family name in the Namenverzeichnis of the Rank list of 1914 - only a last name, no firsit name and no page reference, so it left my guessing which page to look for. 03Fahnen pointed me to the right direction ? Von Neuburg can be found on page 66 of the 1914 Prussian Rank list.

Best. Peter

Von Neuburg.png

Edited by drspeck

Hi Peter,

as is often the case with noble double names, he is listed in the index twice with a reference to the primary surname. The listing you show says “von Neuburg, siehe (s.) or see Frhr. Thumb. This means look under Frhr. Thumb (page 1578 in the name index). He would be generally known as and referred to under the name of Thumb and not Neuburg.

incidentally, I believe he was originally a Royal Württemberg cavalry officer, entering Prussian service in 1885/86.

Regards

Glenn

14 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Hi Peter,

as is often the case with noble double names, he is listed in the index twice with a reference to the primary surname. The listing you show says “von Neuburg, siehe (s.) or see Frhr. Thumb. This means look under Frhr. Thumb (page 1578 in the name index). He would be generally known as and referred to under the name of Thumb and not Neuburg.

incidentally, I believe he was originally a Royal Württemberg cavalry officer, entering Prussian service in 1885/86.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

I did not know that so I learned something new today, thanks :cheers:

Best, Peter