News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mini 1914 EK

I wasn't sure were to put this, but I guess the EK would get the most attraction ;). I have a couple of EK minis, but none of them equal the details on this one, the beading is outstanding. The non-combatant ribbon is of no disadvantage :cheers:

KR

Peter

Hi Peter,

Absolutely gorgious! As minis go these are just fantastic and by far the best little bar I've seen in a long time. My mini IC is rather detailed on the one side... but plain silver on the reverse.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7685

And of course mine does not have such close and distinguished company as yours... not to mention a decent piece of ribbon to wear. :cheeky::lol:

Very impressive! I'd be a very happy man if I could find one half as nice as yours. Thanks so much for sharing! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Thanks Greg. Sorry for being lazy, the Orders are:

Sweden: Order of Wasa (officer)

Kingdom of Bulgaria: Order of Saint Alexander (commander) Type II

EK 1914 2nd class

France: Legion d'Honneur (officer)

KR

Peter

Peter,

About the L?gion d'Honneur, I think it is the 1st grade : Chevalier (knight).

Ch.

Peter,

I believe that is the most magnificent mini bar I have seen to date. :beer: I would say from the array of awards that the original owner was a diplomatic officer. Since the Swedish order is 1st in precedence, he may have been from that country. Still a great piece. Can you give a measurement on the EK so we can put it in scale?

Dan

I always find the combination of German and French gongs amusing :D

Great little bar :jumping:

Amusing indeed but I wonder how this person got both these awards (EK and Legion d'honeur). I guess no French person would ever dream of displaying these 2 awards together so he must be a Sweed...

Thanks again guys :)

Paul and Christophe, I appreciate your correction, don't know what I was thinking about :banger: . I'd like to add some thoughts to this topic of rosettes and stripes.

To my knowledge, these features never appeared on Swedish miniatures, at least not the ones manufactured here. This is evident on this bar, were the Bulgarian and French decoration is correct. Should the system be applied on the Swedish Wasa, it should have a rosette, given it's class (Knight 1st cl.) The enclosed image below is another illustration. The image at the top shows a bar with rosettes on all 4 Knight 1st class, including the Swedish North Star. My assumption is that it is made in Norway, hence the position of the Order of Saint Olaf. This could also explain the incorrect Cross of Freedom with the red cross and the incorrect precedence of the Finnish decorations. I have no experience in minis from Iceland, but all the other Nordic countries, except Sweden, used the system with rosettes and stripes.

Gerd, I know you fancy enamel. Stay tuned and I'll present the rest of the minis from this individual later on this week ;)

Daniel, the cross is 15.6mm.

Terry, you're on the right track :P .

KR

Peter

Superbly mini's!!!!!!

I would have thougt that the orders were knigths

as in most countries mini's have the following stuff;

Plain ribbon; knight / member

officer; rosette

Commander; rosette with silver stripe behind it

Grand officer / Grand Commander/ knight commander/ commander with star etc etc etc; rosette with half gold half silver stripe behind it

Grand Cross; Rosette with gold stripe behind it...

Kind regards

Jacky

Thanks Dan, but I don't think my few enameled minis will render a coronation, there are better candidates on this forum ;)

I brought home the chain from the same individual today. It's a 12-piece chain with 5 decorations missing. They are all related to the Red Cross. From what I've been told, this guy was a doctor, which would explain the wide range of countries. I presume the 4 decorations on the bar initially were positioned to the right on the voided places in a reversed order i.e. the Wasa on the extreme right. That still leaves a void between the Hungarian and Rumanian award? I'm not sure about the pecedence, but if we except this chain being read from right to left, is this set-up correct?

Unfortunately the Turkish medal is missing from the devise. I've also failed to identify the medal between the Turkish and Hungarian award, any ideas?

KR

Peter

I brought home the chain from the same individual today. It's a 12-piece chain with 5 decorations missing. They are all related to the Red Cross. From what I've been told, this guy was a doctor, which would explain the wide range of countries. I presume the 4 decorations on the bar initially were positioned to the right on the voided places in a reversed order i.e. the Wasa on the extreme right. That still leaves a void between the Hungarian and Rumanian award? I'm not sure about the pecedence, but if we except this chain being read from right to left, is this set-up correct?

Unfortunately the Turkish medal is missing from the devise. I've also failed to identify the medal between the Turkish and Hungarian award, any ideas?

KR

Peter

Hallo Peter, :beer:

with regard the mini bar the second last, decoration is a Romanian Medical Merit Cross / Crucea Meritul Sanitar 1913, I Class, a red enameled Cross surrounded by rays and the silver bust of Queen Elisabeth in the centre, on the reverse King Carol I cipher and legend "Meritul Sanitatar 1913" Awarded to the Medical Staff in the 2nd Balcanic War.

I believe it was only awarded to Doctors serving in the Military, (and not a Red Cross award per se) it was also I believe issued in World War 1 as well.

I attach pictures of what the Turkish medal would have looked like.

I also add a picture from my archieve compiled from online pictures of an Austrian mini bar for you to contemplate.

But this guy seems to have been an all round red cross awardee, from pre or early 1900 to the 1920's so France, Italy, Bulgaria, Belgium, etc..etc..spring to mind

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Interesting thread and rather superb examples Gentlemen. The initial bar.. Anyone want to venture a guess as to nationality? A rather perplexing combination!!?

I'll give it a try. A Swedish military doctor, who volontarely served in the German army as a doctor. That would explain the EK2. If the Red Cross administrators also were eligable for the EK, he could possibly have been part of a Red Cross delegation, with the task of inspecting the POW camps. That would explain the Preussian and Austrian decorations. Climbing in ranks within the Red Cross he then recieved the post-1918 awards, which would explain the multitude of awarding countries. Plausible?

I'm amazed by the knowledge amongst members in regards of precedence. A medal bar is shown and in a flash the correct order is announced. I guess I have a long way to go :( . Kevin, thanks for your heads up on the Medical Merit Cross. The mini bar you illustrated is a good example of my confusion, I would have thought the Bulgarian Order to be positioned in front of the Preussian Red Cross medal. I realize that regulations differs when comparing countries and that the chain presented by me most likely is Swedish, but does the arrangement seem correct regarding precedence?

KR

Peter

I'll give it a try. A Swedish military doctor, who volontarely served in the German army as a doctor. That would explain the EK2. If the Red Cross administrators also were eligable for the EK, he could possibly have been part of a Red Cross delegation, with the task of inspecting the POW camps. That would explain the Preussian and Austrian decorations. Climbing in ranks within the Red Cross he then recieved the post-1918 awards, which would explain the multitude of awarding countries.

Plausible?

Kevin, thanks for your heads up on the Medical Merit Cross. The mini bar you illustrated is a good example of my confusion, I would have thought the Bulgarian Order to be positioned in front of the Preussian Red Cross medal. I realize that regulations differs when comparing countries and that the chain presented by me most likely is Swedish, but does the arrangement seem correct regarding precedence?

KR

Peter

Hallo Peter, :beer:

Just to clarify a point, while most of the minis on your bar appear to be RED CROSS related, the Romanian award is not connected to the RED CROSS, it is a medical merit award to Doctors and Medical personel who served in the Romanian military. (In WW1 Romania was fighting against Germany).

The Romanian Red Cross awards look like this: (shown a II Class and III Class , I am looking for a picture of Ist Class Cross, which was in white enamel with a red cross on the upper arm). The one with the box is a Ww2 issue under King Michael I of Romania.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 5 months later...

This is a Bulgarian Red Cross Society badge; possibly early-mid Ferdinand era. Looks like the neighbor on the left is a SCG 1899 wedding anniversary medal. Could we see the entire group please?