News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What have you in the drawer that's rare?

• 2 months later...

Hi !

Recently arrived at home : this nice prussian red cross 1st class insignia, in silver gilt. Rare, because only awarded 161 times during WW1...

:jumping:

Sorry that I must say that, but this red cross 1st class is a copy. unsure.gif

Regards Mike

I see what you mean on the previous Cross the Crosses are cut out.

Yup. But not only that, the details of the crown are obviously different too.

But how can I know, wich one is the good one? Because I have seen the minting tools in the Berliner Münze and compared them with the cross.

Edited by Komtur

Just a quick suggestion. I think it would be helpful if comparison pics could be placed one above or next to each other. It's hard to go back and forth between posts that are several posts apart and make proper comparisons. I think having them next to each other would make a good comparison much easier/better.

Many thanks! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Just a quick suggestion. I think it would be helpful if comparison pics could be placed one above or next to each other. It's hard to go back and forth between posts that are several posts apart and make proper comparisons. I think having them next to each other would make a good comparison much easier/better.

Many thanks! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Good idea can some one post them together, I only made out the cut out crosses hard to see the other comparisons.

Thank you

Lorenzo

As it's a request and hoping neither of you mind me reposting your pics: beer.gif

post-873-003951400 1290222344_thumb.jpgpost-873-080924500 1290222779_thumb.jpg

If a larger pic/scan can be done of the crown/upper cross arm section of the copy to match the original that would be even better. If so, pop it over to me (dwatson@daktel.com) and I'll be happy to edit this and put it in in place of the copy pic included here.

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

Dan

Good work and thank you, you can see now the differences of the 2 together. I have a question if only a few hundred were awarded what would be the value of these Crosses??

Thank you

Lorenzo

post-873-003838100 1290223701_thumb.jpgpost-873-042536900 1290223724_thumb.jpg

Copy on the left, original on the right. About as good as I can get it unless I'm provided with a new scan of the copy, especially the section in question here. Might be good to have a full pic of the original for comparison as well... obverse and reverse if possible. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Good work but the one on the left looks like someone giving me the middle finger:speechless:

Lorenzo

Wish I could do better. The problem is that jpg's like the original image are difficult to resize as you start to lose detail and it gets blurry as in this case. It was about as far as I could take it. It's much easier to make them smaller and I have a problem that does just that. But for enlarging I have to go through Paint and it's slightly trickier. Also appearances can change depending on what browser is being used and what the settings are as these vary from computer to computer.

Best solution is a new pic or preferabiy scan of the "copy"... and again would be great to have a good scan of the full obverse and reverse and again of the selected area of the crown/top arm of the cross.

But hoping this at least helps a bit for now. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Württemberg, Friedrichsorden (Order of Frederic), Knights Cross 1st with Swords, all gold, one of hundred

Manufacturer was the goldsmith Otto Wennberg in Stuttgart, he delivered exactly 100 of the knights crosses 1st class with swords

Matthias

post-636-021279900 1290245636_thumb.jpg