News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What have you in the drawer that's rare?

• 1 month later...

One of a kind. This photo album belonged to one Ruth Naeher-Gl?ck, who married Wilhelm Groener.

You remember Wilhelm... one-time confidante of both Hindenburg and Ludendorff, he was the poor sap who - on November 9th, 1918 - had to tell the Kaiser to abdicate. Later, he was German Minister of Defense and Minister of the Interior. Died 1939.

There are some cooool photographs in it, but I'm not going to publish too many of them yet. The album is an object of some current research on my part.

Ruth is top-center in these. Is that Willi enjoying himself at her side?

Hello,

Well that is a nice photoalbum for sure, and that one picture with that sign is certainly in somewhere shot in Flanders Fields.

That sign "In den Ondank" is still a rather popular cafe name where i do live in old Flanders, there is even an old cafe (approx. 3 km.) from my door still with this very name :beer:

Cordial greetings,

IPB Image

Purchased them around twenty years ago (yes, that infamous number again! :P ) for the princely sum of $75 for the set. I understand I did okay on this one. :D

I feel it's at least possible that they are all from the same manufacturer as they are identical save in the grade color.

Thanks for looking, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

I think that is the only complete set I have seen......besides mine. :P Mine appear to be vitually identical and I acquired mine many years ago as well. I actually got four, with two black versions. My best friend ended up with the extra. Occasionally one comes up for sale, usually black, but no sets.

Dan Murphy

Dan,

I think that is the only complete set I have seen......besides mine. :P Mine appear to be vitually identical and I acquired mine many years ago as well. I actually got four, with two black versions. My best friend ended up with the extra. Occasionally one comes up for sale, usually black, but no sets.

Dan Murphy

Hi Dan,

Many thanks! Hey, would love to see your's too if you don't mind posting. Hey... that's one lucky friend you have... can I be your friend? :P:beer::jumping:

Seriously they're a great set and just never had any idea they were quite that rare and hard to come by. Needless to say I'm very glad I got them when I did and especially at the prices back then. Oh how I miss those good old days! :D

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Again not "positive" this one goes here... but as I've never seen another and have never been able to find more info on it... here's my Imperial German pilots badge... in cloth with issue packet.

[attachmentid=50640]

[attachmentid=50641]

Also, these are scans... I've finally gotten my scanner up and running. :D Still have alot to learn about it :unsure: but hoping these are a vast improvement over my pics using my digital camera. :P

Gentlemen,

Hello.. I'd like to post one on my most rare pieces. I know it is pale in comparison to most of your prestigious and beautiful awards. However, I love the the fact that this soldier fought both in the Seven Week's War and the Franco Prussian War. I havent seen many Nassau medals out there. Are they rare? I thank you for your interest.

Regards,

Joel

Joe,

I thank you for your compliment. The medal bar exhibits a little setback though. The pin holding the Nassau medal has broken off. None the less, it is displayed proudly in my medal case.

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Hi Joe,

I thought that you might like to know that according to Nimmergut, 5,295 of these Nassau medals were awarded, which may sound like quite a lot; but, as you pointed out, there doesn?t seem to be many left - the ravages of time, I suppose. While over the years I have seen a few, this would be the first one I?ve seen in a mounted group.

I think that this points out how, in my opinion, these (and those of other states) 1866 campaign medals seem quite under appreciated within the collector community; but, to each his own.

A great find, congratulations, :beer:

Wild Card

I believe these are fairly rare in this older form (i.e. without flames) but I don't know exactly how rare. If anybody happens to have figures or even a rough guess I would be appreciative.

IPB Image

Hi Keith,

Just had to say... a lovely award! :jumping: Love :love: that beautiful enamel! :jumping:

Many thanks for sharing! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Gentlemen,

Hello.. I'd like to post one on my most rare pieces. I know it is pale in comparison to most of your prestigious and beautiful awards. However, I love the the fact that this soldier fought both in the Seven Week's War and the Franco Prussian War. I havent seen many Nassau medals out there. Are they rare? I thank you for your interest.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Very nice bar! :love::jumping: And I agree... these definitely seem underappreciated... seems everyone waits and gets really excited by 1870 IC's. :lol: I for one have always been hooked on the Kaisar medal pictured on the end of your bar. :love:

Thanks for sharing. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Wildcard and Hauptman,

Thank you for your interest and your very kind words. I just makes me think how an item like this has travelled so far and was found in a little antique shop in New Hampshire. If I could just have psychic abilities to see how it got here and who was the recipient. :beer:

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

• 3 years later...

Time to give a boost to another old dorment thread... but one I feel is well worth kicking into gear again.

Out of desperation to get this going again I started by posting a TR screwback wound badge... but then realized I did have another rather rare Imperial piece I'd not posted here so decided to switch them out in order to say within the theme.

Order of the Griffen. From my understanding this grade was only awarded to Majors and there were only 55 delivered, 40 of those (like this one) by Godet. So hoping this qualifies.

Edited by Hauptman

So come on guys and gals... surely you must have some more rare and hard to find goodies hidden away somewhere that you'd like to post.ninja.gif

Looking forward to seeing more great pieces!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman