News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

could i ask you to identify the pieces in the fourth

and seventh positions.

1. Prussia; Iron Cross, 2nd Class

2. Prussia: Royal House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight with Swords

3. Baden: Order of the Z?hringen Lion, Knight 2nd (?) Class with Oakleaves and Swords

4. Reuss: Princely Reuss Honor Cross, 2nd Class with Swords

5. Germany: Honor Cross for Combatants

6. Prussia: 25-year Long Service Cross

7. Prussia: Life Saving Medal

8. Prussia: Centenary Medal

9. Austria-Hungary: Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration

The Reuss Honor Cross, 2nd Class indicates a major, likely on staff (majors with higher commands might get the Officer's Cross). The lack of many prewar medals seems to make a unique match hard, but there are likely candidates among pre-war captains with only a Life Saving Medal who made major during the war, such as Maj. Paetzold, late of IR.114 (a Baden regiment, by the way).

Guest Rick Research

I do not find this officer in the 1924 Reichsheer Rangliste.

Neal O'Connor could not locate ANY WW1 award rolls from either Reuss archive. Just the HHOX and NZ3bXmE are not enough to make an identification, and there is always the possibility that the ? was awarded during the war and not pre-war.

I do not find this officer in the 1924 Reichsheer Rangliste.

Neal O'Connor could not locate ANY WW1 award rolls from either Reuss archive. Just the HHOX and NZ3bXmE are not enough to make an identification, and there is always the possibility that the ? was awarded during the war and not pre-war.

So can we rule out Paetzold? It would be cool to get it on the semi-random first guess. :P

He was a Major a.D. in the Ehren-Rangliste, so he wouldn't be in the 1924 Reichsheer list.

Edited by Dave Danner

Guest Rick Research

Can't rule Paetzold out, since no clue what he got "in total" during the war. We don't know that for ANYBODY not in the Reichswehr.

Guest Rick Research

The problem, of course, with someone like this with no visible post-1918 career is that without ALL the German WW1 award rolls, we have NO WAY to EVER tell:

did THIS one get a Hamburg Hanseatic Cross? Did THAT one get a Hessian Bravery Medal? And so on.