News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-combatant bars are difficult to find!

Another Lippe-group...not yet identified, the Lippische Rose for art and science 3rd class was probably after 1918 awarded.

Lippe-2er-Spange-LH4a-KEM+LRos2mEL-VS.jpg

And again a small chain from Lippe (Detmold and Schaumburg!) of a NC.
    The name I got was "Dietz von Bayer", but I couldn´t find him in the rolls so far.

Lippe-Minikette-LDH4-SLH4-Cent-KDM70_NK-LWDA-VS web.jpg

This chain is quite unique, as the Lippe-Detmold Leopoldorden 3rd class was awarded only 16 times.

The owner was Conrad Trauthan, Gewerbeaufseher (industry-inspector) in Bielefeld...

Lippe-Minikette-RAO4-KHDK-LDH3-LO3-Conrad-Trauthan-VS.jpg

Edited by Solomon

Here is my humble contribution. Nothing spectacular (although I am happy with the RAO4 by Friedländer&co from Berlin). The bar is combattant for 1864 and 1866 but non-combattant for 1870/1871. I wonder why, does anyone have a suggestion?

Kind regards, Laurentius

20231201_214822.thumb.jpg.aebc34f4cb8d4337addee621f321efda.jpg

20231201_214802.thumb.jpg.85914286352dac1e6cebf155ec69ed9f.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

It wouldn't be Dietz von Bayer. Both Konrad and Erich were highly decorated former active officers. Konrad received the SLH2, but neither had a Detmold award.

I know, but I got this chain directly from the heir, unfortunately he was not able to say which family-member was the previous owner.

3 hours ago, Solomon said:

I know, but I got this chain directly from the heir, unfortunately he was not able to say which family-member was the previous owner.

Paul Dietz (1827-1898) married Berta Bayer in 1849. He was ennobled as "Dietz von Bayer" on 17.12.1884. Paul and Berta had three children: Elisabeth (1850-), Konrad (1854-) and Erich (1859-). Elisabeth married Otto Freiherr von Hodenberg (1844-1902) and had 3 children. Erich was childless. Konrad had one son, Friedrich, born in 1887.

None of the names I can associate directly with the family - Dietz v. Bayer, Frhr. v. Hodenberg, Iffland (Elisabeth's son-in-law), v. Collas (Friedrich's wife), Boßdorf (Friedrich's son-in-law), and Hartmann (Friedrich's daughter-in-law) - match my LDH and SLH lists. So my best guess is your heir inherited it from someone related through a later maternal line. Erich Dietz von Bayer (*1921) was killed in action in 1945; I have no idea if he had children and whom they would have married. Same for Erika Boßdorf geb. Dietz v. Bayer (1920-1951). It's possible Friedrich had other children after Erika and Erich, but I haven't found them.

Hi Dave,

thanks a lot. Friedrich Dietz von Bayer indeed had another son, but it was a stillborn nameless child in 1923.

I already checked all candidates, who got both 4th classes from Detmold and Schaumburg, without any success.

The owner must be born before 1870 (NC medal for 1870/71) and the Schaumburg award might be an early one (white background of the rose).
    But this doesn´t really help in this case.

BR

Roman