News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-combatant bars are difficult to find!

Sehr schön, Daniel.

I can add this one to Telegrafensekretär and SA-Sturmführer Robert Noll.

He founded the first NSDAP-Ortsgruppe in Münster 1922. His Partynumber was 16873, but I cannot find alot of information about him.

Best regards

Nicolas

IMG_20190605_174957.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Gents, 

Here is my contribution. I am not sure about the first ribbon as it could be a MEZ, a RAO, a KO or an EKII.

Unfortunately (for me), nothing related to China. But a lovely bar with two battle clasps.

BR, Chris 

w_SW_Zn_vs.jpg

w_SW_Zn_rs.jpg

I agree here with ixhs, this bar has a RAO4 or a KO4. This is a so called 'old-style' ribbonbar and these were worn untill 1915. Some functioned solely as ribbonbars, but others functioned both as medal- and ribbonbars, usually with hooks on the back. A lovely piece, finding something related to a non-com RAO or KO is rare.

Kind regards, Laurentius

We can  not be sure, what decoration is hidden behind the first ribbon.

A Prussian order on a white ribbon with black stripes is possible, but very scarce. I could only find 17 Crown Order 4th class and 14 Red Eagle Order 4th class on this very special ribbon for the war in Deutsch-Südwestafrika. These decorations were awarded to civil officials (e.g. postofficals), as to be seen for example for the Crown Order 4th class and the year 1906.

Even if the previous described combination is very likely, an Iron Cross 1914 on a white ribbon is not impossible.

Verleihungszahlen Kronenorden am weißen Band.JPG

Verleihungszahlen Roter Adlerorden am weißen Band.JPG

Kgl. Pr. OL 1905, 2. Nachtrag.JPG

2 hours ago, Gensui said:

How about a MEZ?

Sorry, for missing this. To be true, its the most probable decoration! There were 63 awarded for the war in Südwestafrika, most of them in 1907. These medals were given to low ranking military officials.

Kgl. Pr. OL 1905, 3. Nachtrag, S. 302.JPG

Kgl. Pr. OL 1905, 3. Nachtrag, S. 303.JPG

Kgl. Pr. OL 1905, 3. Nachtrag, S. 320.JPG

Edited by Komtur

On 25/10/2019 at 17:28, laurentius said:

I agree here with ixhs, this bar has a RAO4 or a KO4. This is a so called 'old-style' ribbonbar and these were worn untill 1915. Some functioned solely as ribbonbars, but others functioned both as medal- and ribbonbars, usually with hooks on the back. A lovely piece, finding something related to a non-com RAO or KO is rare.

Kind regards, Laurentius

I personally like these old-style ribbon bars, I think they look fantastic with the field grey uniform. I thought it was just some sort of fashion that some people preferred them (or bought them additionally) over the small ones. Was there a directive given out in 1915 (maybe with the new uniforms??) that these should no longer been used? 

Edited by Utgardloki

They weren't forbidden, there are some pictures of them being used after 1915. However, they noticed that officers were being picked off by French snipers who knew that one of those big coloury pieces of metal on an officer's chest was a sure sign of a commanding person, so they'd shoot him. Cut off the snake's head, that kind of logic. 

I remember a picture posted on this forum by @Rick Research a long time ago. It was a picture of a general (the literal embodiment of a badass) with an old-style ribbonbar, an enlisted men's belt and a bayonet. I can't seem to find the picture, but if anyone knows or remembers this post by Rick could you be so kind to post the picture? Much appreciated.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Thanks for answering, that makes sense!
    I personally would wear the small one on the field and the large one at formal occasions away from the front not illustrious enough to wear the big medal bar. But well... I am sure there were much more important things to think off back then than what kind of medal bar to wear.

@Utgardloki

I found the picture

bc644e163ff8acf4b7998896e57d1b1d.jpg.412d73ec132c137afbefc7e9a139d552.jpg

As I said, the true embodiment of badass, the Bruce Willis of his time. This general, whose picture was taken in 1918, is wearing an enlisted men's belt and bayonet, a helmet and an 'old-style' ribbonbar. This picture would also go great in the other thread about the Johanniter Orden.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Edited by laurentius

Well, that must have been how the ideal German general had to look like...

I hope You guys don't mind this a bit off-topic discussion...

Other pictures of him (Siegfried von La Chevallerie 1860-1950)

3f56279662d659c62d840374bd6a3fa1.jpg

Bildergebnis für siegfried von la chevallerie

image.thumb.png.0b7341e5f73e50cab48fcea49460510a.png

18. Oct 1916 (2nd from the right side)

image.thumb.png.60e04c930044bb5b765dc7231251008d.png

23. November 1917:

Siegfried-von-La-Chevallerie-e1555343715540-886x1030.jpg

image.png.f96fbea5f31464833bac683ae83a5581.png

You might want to read this (very interesting):

https://zeitreise-bb.de/die-kriegserinnerungen-des-siegfried-von-la-chevallerie/

Edited by Utgardloki

• 3 months later...