News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Congratulations On the New Hungarian Section!

Guest Rick Research

Many thanks to all and to all of your hard work too! :cheers:

Our quest to know as much as we can about this period in Hungarian history can only be understod by the efforts of many - both Hisotrians, researchers, collectors and the few that we have here who actualy lived through it. I will be the first to admit that I dont know it all, and I make mistakes and wrong assumptions, but with the awesome community we have here, I am sure we can all work to the benefit of finding the answers and removing the shroud. Its an uphill battle and there is so much to learn and discover, but its a process that will be a fun ride for sure. By example - from 1945-1956 there were no less than five distinct changes to the uniforms, from 1948-1989 there were over 300 variants of the Excellent Worker Badge, from 1949 to 1956 there "Rakosi" national coat of arms that then canged after 1956 to the "Kaddar" coat of arms, several national sport organizatsions with ties to the military, etc. As I like to say now as one living through the period "If you dont like the look of the (uniform, badge, medal, buttons, etc...) just wait a few years comrade!"

Out of curiosity, what is the Hungarian "equivalent" of the Order of Lenin? E.g. such as the Dimitrov order in Bulgaria.

Good question - as I dont know what the criteria for the Order of Lenin or the Dimitrov is its hard for me to say. :unsure:

Taking a stab that I think those were given out for long periods of service and / or an exemplrary work at building the communist state - I would say the Order of Merit of the Hungarian People's Republic 1953 / 1957 model. This one was awarded only 13 times in 1953, 76 times between 1954 and 1957, 30 times between 1957 and 1978 and 21 times after 1978. There were no real state sponsored "personality" awards except for the Rakosi Student Medal (for good work in studies) but this was soon abolished when Rakosi fell out of favor. There was also the "Zalka Mate" medal - but this was given out to members of the communist party who fought in the Spanish Civil War.

Gentlemen,

I am also very happy about this new section at GMIC and - as the GMIC-staff knows - I have done some humble "motivation work" for a own Hungary-section ;) .

For getting a lucid structure to the GMIC-world concerning Communism, I hope, that the next new section might be Yugoslavia :D .

Congratulation to Charles :beer: .

Best regards

Christian

Gentlemen,

I am also very happy about this new section at GMIC and - as the GMIC-staff knows - I have done some humble "motivation work" for a own Hungary-section ;) .

For getting a lucid structure to the GMIC-world concerning Communism, I hope, that the next new section might be Yugoslavia :D .

Congratulation to Charles :beer: .

Best regards

Christian

Hi Christian,

I for one would also love to see such a section started. I know next to nothing about Yugoslavian awards. To be honest the few medals I've seen so far, even cased, have not been that impressive. I've thought the Orders I've seen have been rather blah compared with those of the Soviets, etc. However, I've now been tempted to try and test the waters so to speak. But needless to say I have much I'd like to learn about what Yugo has to offer. I figure I'm doing Soviet, DDR, Hungary and Bulgarian... so may as well keep going. Sorry I missed out on Mongolian but it's already gotten too pricey for me... at least for now.

So you've definitely got my vote! Be keeping my fingers tightly crossed. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dear Dan,

many thanks for your support :cheers: .

I assume, that in our collectors community YU-Awards are regarded in terms of design, beauty and craftmanship as ranking No. 3 behind Soviet and Mongolian awards.

As with Mongolian awards, early YU-Awards had been made in the CCCP. So the quality of these awards is always superiour to the home-made ones of later years.

Here, at the so called "other" Soviet forum, you will find a comprehensive catalogue of these beauties: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/soviet-...ian-awards.html .

The prices are still very, very moderate :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

I assume, that in our collectors community YU-Awards are regarded in terms of design, beauty and craftmanship as ranking No. 3 behind Soviet and Mongolian awards.

Don't forget ALBANIAN awards! :cheers:

Dear Dan,

many thanks for your support :cheers: .

As with Mongolian awards, early YU-Awards had been made in the CCCP. So the quality of these awards is always superiour to the home-made ones of later years.

Here, at the so called "other" Soviet forum, you will find a comprehensive catalogue of these beauties: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/soviet-...ian-awards.html .

The prices are still very, very moderate :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hi Christian,

No problem at all. :cheers: I deeply appreciate your posting that link. I went through it earlier and I can see that most of the really high ones that I like are going to be way out of my range, at least for the foreseeable future. But I've seen a few of the Orders I'd like to shoot for.

Many thanks!!!! :beer:

Hi Christian,

I for one would also love to see such a section started. I know next to nothing about Yugoslavian awards. To be honest the few medals I've seen so far, even cased, have not been that impressive. I've thought the Orders I've seen have been rather blah compared with those of the Soviets, etc. However, I've now been tempted to try and test the waters so to speak. But needless to say I have much I'd like to learn about what Yugo has to offer. I figure I'm doing Soviet, DDR, Hungary and Bulgarian... so may as well keep going. Sorry I missed out on Mongolian but it's already gotten too pricey for me... at least for now.

So you've definitely got my vote! Be keeping my fingers tightly crossed. :beer:

Dan,

We will soon get you on the sillpery path to Yugo awards, its the least I can do after you got me in to DDR awards :D

Order of Victory

Edited by order_of_victory

Dan,

We will soon get you on the sillpery path to Yugo awards, its the least I can do after you got me in to DDR awards :D

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Well my friend, I don't know how far I can slip with my limited budget and way too many areas of interest... but we'll try and slip just a bit. :P

Thanks, :beer:

I finally found the right place to let Charles and Gordon know that I wish them good luck in hosting this subforum! They make very effective efforts on letting the people know about some of the great history of my small country.

Congrats!

Chris

I finally found the right place to let Charles and Gordon know that I wish them good luck in hosting this subforum! They make very effective efforts on letting the people know about some of the great history of my small country.

Congrats!

Chris

Magayrok! Its great history because of its geat citizens...