News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 99
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.............I have an interesting one too............

If you have a medal bar with hooks on the frontside..... you should use them and put some medals there :whistle: Please note the not too often seen ribbon for the colonial medal 1912 !!! unfortunately without clasp...

Position 2. Merite Cross at wrong position (wrong ribbon), back side is in front

Position 3. Merite Medal at wrong position (wrong ribbon)

Position 5. Long Service Cross, Back side is in front

The foreign medals he is wearing correct, but his mecklenburgian not! :speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

I have also something to add :catjava:

Lt.d.R. Otto Straßburger

Look at the battleclaps on the ribbon of the china-medal!!!

Taku

Peking (!!!!)

Nan-hung-men

Could it be the Friedrich August Medaile on the sixth position?? It looks like the peacetime ribbon.

Best wishes

Karsten

Guest Rick Research

"Peking" is not so "odd"-- I think many wearers thought that if they walked through the city (after the siege!!! :banger: ) THAT "entitled" them to this Spange. :speechless:

But TAKU-- that is a PURELY Naval bar!!!!!!!

You need an Epson scanner very badly :catjava: but can you zoom in on his Oberleutnant shoulder boards? He looks like some sort of Beamter from what I can make out-- and that might fit better to a former career NCO--or ex-NAVY Petty Officer ("Prussian" XV, 1897...)

I think you are absoluteley correct and that is a Silver Saxon Friedrich August Medal on the brand-new- for SW Africa war ribbon...

so what is he doing with World War awards from Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Hamburg? ...

A Saxon... in the Imperial Navy in China... who is with the Schutztruppen in Africa 1904-06... and in an Army officer/Beamter uniform during the World War... my brain hurts!!!! :Cat-Scratch::speechless1:

Anything written on the back?

Hello Rick,

yes there is something written on the backside and by that there are some more informations.:jumping:

Lt.dR Otto Straßburger was a "Feldpolizei-Kommissar" in Lowitsch (Lowicz) during the war. Bernd gave me the information that he was a member of the "Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 17".

I added also a detail screen of his shoulderboard. Hoping you can cognize something.

Are you sure that he received the saxon FAM for SWA but where is then the MEZ II??? I always thought that the saxon FAM is on the peacetime ribbon, which he received prior to the war.

Best wishes

Karsten

Edited by Leutwein

Guest Rick Research

Something very strange has made the last two scans Less Than Zero size :Cat-Scratch::speechless1: so they are not visible. Please try again since I just get a FLASH as they vanish.

I've got a Bavarian group with only BMVK2X M1905 for SW Africa. I don't think that is the peacetime ribbon on the FAM since that would be black and yellow stripes that would not look like what is visible on the photo. A peacetime FAM would be even weirder than a wartime one for the colonies-- since he seems to have NO :speechless1: connection to Saxony!

I have deleted the old pictures and added some new but they still have a size of zero :banger:

Have to take a look if I can find an Otto Straßburger, who got the sFAM for SWA. Unfortunately is the "DKB" not completly :(

I couldn´t find any recipient of the sFAM with the name Straßburger. Could it not be a wartime decoration for the WW1???

Best wishes

Karsten

Edited by Leutwein

Guest Rick Research

Those two scans are both still STARTING to appear full correct size and then they go "blink" and vanish before finishing.

I wouldn't think a World War silver FAM could have been possible for him-- he's an "Oberleutnant" level in that photo, and must have had the same Polizei/army rank. If he'd even been one of the Feldwebelleutnant sorts of ranks, even briefly, that would have got him the Albert Cross X or the Saxon General Decoration Cross X.

I think from the position back where it is, he is indicating that to be a colonial award.

Of course, he is not wearing EITHER his China OR SW Africa Medals in the correct places, so.... :banger:

PS If there is a date before May 1917, then hopefully Frank will have his entry from the Mecklenburg-Schwerin roll entered?

PS If there is a date before May 1917, then hopefully Frank will have his entry from the Mecklenburg-Schwerin roll entered?

I'm sorry, but I can't find him in my rolls. He received his MVK 2. class after May 1917. :banger::banger:

Regards Seeheld

"...I wouldn't think a World War silver FAM could have been possible for him-- he's an "Oberleutnant" level in that photo, and must have had the same Polizei/army rank. If he'd even been one of the Feldwebelleutnant sorts of ranks, even briefly, that would have got him the Albert Cross X or the Saxon General Decoration Cross X...."

You´re absolutely right and I´m feeling embarrassed now:speechless:

"...I'm sorry, but I can't find him in my rolls. He received his MVK 2. class after May 1917..."

Very sad! Because the photo was written and sent on the 30.May 1917 but the picture must be taken earlier and by that also the award of the MVK2!

Maybe it is not Otto Straßburger?? No entry of his sFAM for GSWA and also no entry of his MVK2 until 1917 but the picture must be taken till may 1917! Very mysterious!

Best wishes

Karsten

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

I'd say from the size of the cross, that's a 12 mismounted ahead of a 25. Can you make out his shoulder board device-- ??? a Bandmaster Captain?

• 1 year later...