News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Auction of Rick Lundstrom Collection - Announcement

Thanks for the announcement. I took a look at the items and it seems to me that many things from Rick's collection are not there. He had a nice collection of insignia (shoulder boards, sleeve insignia) from what I could tell from his posts over the years. I don't see much of anything that he had represented in this auction. Is there more to come in later auctions?

I'm also curious as to why a foreign auction house is selling his items. I suppose it is for maximum exposure, but it just seems somewhat odd. Are the items shipping from the U.S or have they already been shipped to Europe?

Regards,

Chip

Edited by Chip

All decisions in regards to the disposal of Rick's collection have been made as per his written instructions and in consultation with his mother. Several other forum members can attest to this fact.

All items in the auction will ship from Germany.

Edited by Paul C

Paul is correct, different sections of the collection were sold in different ways, either at fair market value direct sale, or on other platforms to maximize return. A German auction house is probably a better way for maximum return, ditto was German eBay for documents.

I assume if he had collected WW2 German, an American platform would have been better.

a sale like this is somewhat a damned if you do... Damned no matter what you do... I think the market is not great... I had 2 document/paper sales on US eBay... In one I sold 5 Irin Cross docs with soldbuch... 16$ for the lot... Then a nice 1870 ek studio photo... Got 1$ !

its a tough call to find the best way...

I can attest to the scrupulous conduct of those involved in this sad activity.  A tremendous amount of work has gone into this with no personal gain to the workers. Distributions are per Rick's intentions, his mother's instructions and where not specifically directed - to maximize financial benefit to Mrs. Lundstrom.  To those who have done the work goes thanks not criticism.

Heartily endorse/echo W McSwiggans' comment; would have posted same sentiment had I seen this earlier!!   The individuals helping Mrs. L merit highest praise for their selfless efforts and dedication to preserving Rick's legacy plus enabling a wider spectrum of fellow enthusiasts to acquire pieces from his collection!

I am very well aware of other collections 'sold locally' in which results beggared historical research/item availability aspects and financial benefit to survivors. 

Thanks for the explanations. I certainly was not intending to say, nor did I say anything about the merits of those helping Rick's mother garner the best results she can obtain. I obviously know nothing about the process and thus the questions.

Best regards,

Chip

• 4 weeks later...

I was bidding live via internet, not on Lundstrom stuff though, but while waiting for my lots, I was observing that many things went well over estimate. Only a few lots passed.

I got nice item, so I was satisfied. Thanks for letting me know about this auction, Paul.

The results are now up. The auction was a great success. 79 items were listed and only 5 minor items did not sell. My hat goes off the Bene Merenti Auctions and Christian Lehrle. He did a great job. I can not recommend Bene Merenti Auctions strong enough if you want to sell something. Christian's customer service was fantastic. 

Hi Claudius,

I bid on it until 1300, but it went for 1400 and should have bid 1500 but it was too much for me, because I had a feeling that if I bid 1500, the price would have gone up even more. Too bad because I really liked that bar; the provenience was also well documented and interesting.

Ciao, 

Claudio