News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I present to the forum the Ehrenritter cross of later Major General Bruno von Rudgisch. I bought it thinking it was bronze gilt as the seller confirmed there are no markings on the cross. When looking closely with a loop a "FR" can be seen engraved into the bottom of the cross. I had to use a loop to see it. Turns out this is a hollow gold version. Most likely the closest I will come to a PLM.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
    On January 7, 2016 at 04:12, kasle said:

Very nice. Wondering what´s the size of the framed portrait.

14-1/2" by 22". It's the largest photo I have seen from that era. When I bought it there was nothing in the photograph to provide scale. I was quite happy to see it.

I haven't done any research on him other that Googleing his name which came up with nothing.

Thanks to Paul and Chris and Chris.

Edited by CRBeery

Bruno v. Rüdgisch, born 12 November 1854 in Rüdigheim, was a retired Prussian cavalry Rittmeister and squadron commander in Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 1. He left Prussian service in 1899 as a char. Major. z.D. and entered Ottoman service, rising to the rank of Lieutenant-General and Inspector of cavalry. He returned briefly to Prussian service in 1909 and retired as an Oberstleutnant in Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 22 the same year. Living in Berlin in 1913, I find no indication that he served during WW1.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

He was in fact called back during the war with the "Überwachungsstelle b. Haupt Telegraphenamt Berlin." (guarding the main telegraph office in Berlin)  He was given the "Charakter" of colonel on 20.06.1918.

He received the PStJO on 20.02.1899 as a Turkish colonel and Adjutant to the Sultan in Constantinopel.

During his time in Turkish service, he spent 17 months (not sure when) in Tripolis training the cavalry in that area.  Most likely, it was during this period that he earned his "stars."

Andy

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the research! I have decided to reframe the photo make sure everything is acid proof. There is no glass currently as it broke and I asked to have it removed prior to shipping. Normally I leave things alone but this is a great photo and the frame looks like wood that was dipped in plaster and much of the plaster is coming off. 

I found something written on the backing of the photo. Confirms above info and more! I'll try to post it tomorrow. 

Chris- this guy was born just up the road from you!

The photos in this grouping are outstanding. They are in very large format. Here is a selection of cropped photos. In the first picture he is mounted on the far left.

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

Here is my second favorite after the portrait! This represents some real history!

Also - Some facial hair for Chris.

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

Edited by CRBeery

• 4 weeks later...

A few more from the box! I think my guy is seated in the center, A great study of uniforms!

IMG_0488.JPG

This one may put a face to pieces in someone's collection. Young men in prestigious positions.

IMG_0489.JPG

Can anyone read this for me?

IMG_0485.JPG

Looks be a religiously import gathering of military officials. I'd love to know what this truly is.

IMG_0487.JPG

Finally, these look to be some kind of fraternity/society type uniforms. Does anyone know what they are? I see no rank insignia so I am assuming not military.

IMG_0493.JPG

• 1 year later...

Hallo ich bin neu in diesem Forum. Leider kann ich kein englisch und muss mir alles automatisch übersetzen lassen.

Als Hobby-Genealoge forsche ich zu meiner Familie, zu der auch die adlige Familie von Rüdgisch gehört. Zur Zeit schreibe ich ein Familienbuch über die "von Rüdgisch" Alles was hier über Bruno von Rüdgisch steht ist richtig. Hier seine Personendaten.

4 Kinder des Ludwig Leopold VON RÜDGISCH (# 39) und Hulda Fenske

53. VON RÜDGISCH, Bruno Heinrich Benjamin, ev, Oberstleutnant, Pascha, (einziger Sohn, keine Nachkommen)

* Słomowo 12.11.1854, ~ Culmsee 04.01.1855

Słomowo (Rüdigsheim) liegt bei Culmsee, Kulmsee, Chełmża  Kleinstadt mit ca. 2000 Ew. (1852)  bis 1920 Landkreis Thorn Reg.-Bez. Marienwerder

oo Berlin-Friedenau 07.03.1913[1]

Ida Marie Louise PETERSEN, ev, * Elbing 01.08.1852 ~ Elbing 09.09.1852,
    Verwitwete Haberdanck, Tochter des  Ludwig Georg PETERSEN, Superintendent, +Tilsit und seiner Ehefrau Ida Amalie Marie, NN + Berlin 1884

[1] Eheurkunde Bln.Friedenau  231/1913, die Geburtstage und –orte des Brautpaares sind dort genannt

Seine militärische Laufbahn werde ich in Kürze hier mitteilen.

Den Namen von Rüdgisch-Ballas gibt es noch in Deutschland, aber ich habe noch keinen Kontakt gefunden. Ich vermute, dass es mit der Kinderlosigkeit des Bruno von Rüdgisch zusammenhängt. 1903 hat sein Vater an den Kaiser den Antrag seinen Enkel zu gestatten, neben seinem Vatersnamen (Kapitänleutnant Günzel) seinen Namen (Von Rüdgisch) zu tragen. Mein Kentnisstand ist, dass dies abgelehnt wurde, weil das eine Erhebung in den Adelsstand gleichkommen würde.

Militärkarriere Bruno von Rüdgisch

1.12.1874         Dreijahr-Grenadier - freiwillig mit Aussicht auf Beförderung bei der 3. Eskadron des Dragoner-Regiment „Prinz Albrecht von Preußen“ (Litthauisches) Nr. 1.

Das Regiment rekrutierte sich aus Freiwilligen des äußersten Nordostens von Ostpreußen und stand im Ruf die besten Pferde und Reiter zu haben.

1879 wurde das Regiment endgültig in Tilsit zusammengefasst.

13.05.1875       Unteroffizier

1875.07.15         Portepee - Fähnrich

(Anwärter zum Berufsoffizier, ab 1899 wäre er Fahnenjunker genannt worden)

17.10.1876         Sek.-Ltn., ab dem Tag hatte er sein Offizierspatent

5.13. 1886        Prim.-Leutnant.

1891.10.18         Rittmeister u. Eskadronchef

16.03.1899       Major mit der ges. Pension gestellt und Erlaubnis vorübergehend in türkische Dienste zu treten

20.02.1899       als türkischer Oberst der Kavallerie - Reformer in osmanischen Diensten angestellt.

14.03.1899      zum Flügeladjudanten S.B. des Sultans "??ledul Hamid" ernannt.

24.03.1900      zum türkischen Generalmajor u. Pascha befördert.

29.09.1904       zum türkischen Generalleutnant ernannt.

20.04.1909       in Deutschland mit Patent vom 27.01.1909 zum Oberstltn. befördert und beim Stab des 5. Badischen Preuß. Regt. 22 wieder eingestellt.

16.07.1909         Abschied mit der ges. Pension und

Erlaubnis zum Tragen der Uniform des Drag.-Regt. 1

18.08.1911       Auf sein Gesuch m. der Erlaubnis z. seinen Tragen der Uniform Drag.-Regt. 1 zur Disposition gestellt.

01.08.1914          Pferde-Aushebungs-Kommissar für die Kreise Zielenzig, Ost-Sternberg

01.08.1915       zur militärischen Überwachungsstelle des Haupttelegraphenamtes in Berlin abkommandiert

22.08.1915         dem Ers./2. Garde Regt. z. F. zugeteilt

23.01.1918         zum Leiter der Überwachungsstelle des Haupttelegraphenamtes ernannt

20.02.1918         durch A.S.K. Ehrenkreuz als Oberst erhalten

30.11.1918         von der Dienstleistung bei der Überwachungsstelle H.T.A. entbunden

30.11.1918         Aufhebung der Mobilmachung wurde dienstlich bekannt gemacht.

Pensionsregelung: Kreiskasse Teltow, Berlin, Jüdenstr.? 57

Bruno von Rüdgisch hat folgende Auszeichnungen erhalten. Quelle Geheimes Staatsarchiv Preußischer Kulturgüter Berlin.

Leider kenne ich mich zu wenig aus, um die Abkürzungen zu entschlüsseln.

Kann mir jemand weiterhelfen?

Deutsche Orden

R.A.O. 4                  08.05.1897   Roter Adler Orden

St.J.O.                     20.02.1899  Johanniter Orden

Kr.O.3                     16.07.1909         Kronenorden 3. Klasse (auch „Komturkreuz“ oder „Kommandeur“)

D.K.                         13.06.1911         Deutsches Kreuz? Gab es erst in NS-zeit, Dragoner Kreuz??

E.K.2                        01.08.1918         Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

Türkische Orden

Br.H 3a                  17.02.1903

Tg.16                     1903.02.17                     

Ts.16                     17,02 1903                     

Track 1                  1904.03.10                        

T 16.1                     10.03.1904

Tr 16.1                  1909.04.20

Edited by Raubtierbaendiger
    Neu formatiert

On 7.2.2016 at 01:31, CRBeery said:

Can an anyone read this for me?

IMG_0485.JPG

Transcription: v. Rüdgisch wird vor d[em] Volk z[um] Pascha proklamiert

v. Rüdgisch is proclaimed Pascha before the people.

Edited by Hermann

• 1 year later...

So much great information here on this man. While recently looking at pictures of a friends collection I found another piece of his!!! It took some time to secure it but my friend wanted the pieces reunited and I was happy to have the opportunity. So, to thank those that looked at this thread or commented - I give you one more piece of the grouping that is now here with me.

IMG_0644.JPG

Yes indeed, a magnificent group!!  Sincere congrats!   Maybe the Brunswick Henry the Lion mini explains

D.K.                         13.06.1911         Deutsches Kreuz? Gab es erst in NS-zeit, Dragoner Kreuz??