News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Today I want to tell yo a story about Rick.

Many years ago Rick posted the attached document on GMIC. I sent him a message when I saw it and ask him, if he could imagine to leave this document. He answered me that he want to keep ths document but when he pass away I will get it. You can imagine that I don't gave anything on this statement. Weeks after Rick past away (RIP), I got a messae from a member of this forum. He told me that he found my name together with this document notice that it should be hand over to me.

I was shocked because I never expect this, especily because we shared only a coupe of messages and dont know each other good. Idon't had a good feelig to take this document under this circumstances but this was the will of Rick.  I got a very toaching letter from his mother and decided to display this document on a public museum, where Rick name should ne mentioned forever.

It tooks a lot of time but the document is now displayed on the Aeronauticum meseum at Nordholz. When one of you guys ever stand in front of this document don't forget to think about Rick.

Sorry for the bad picture but this is the one I getfrom th museum. When someone of you visit the museum could make a better one and post here.

Thanks

Alex

IMG_0911.JPG

Edited by jaba1914

I want to add that my intenssion was to metion the name of Rick only on the panel like this:

"In memorial of Rick Lundstorm"

because I don't consider this piece as mine. It is still Rick's document.

But the museum told me that the mane of the lender from contract will be listed too.

Kind regards
    Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Hello Alex.

Thank you for posting this. The document certainly found a very suitable home based on the resulting views  when following and using the link you provided.

I had the good fortune to have had many contacts with our much missed friend Rick and enjoyed every minute of phone conversations or our exchange on the forum or by P.M.

Now it is nice to have him present at the museum.

Thank you again,

Bernhard H. Holst

Rick was a defender of a connected community where all people shared their knowledge to the community. Somehing that in real lfe is far from reality. At least this is my feeling. I have the same oppinion and threfor it is th best way to dispay the document for all.

Edited by jaba1914

Alex, 

You did good.

I didn't know Rick very well either, but from the few virtual encounters I had with him, and from his many excellent postings on WAF and GMIC it is clear that he was a sharing person.

Your donation of the document he left you to a museum befits his memory, so well done to both. 

Best, 

Sandro

Wow!  What a story and what a nice gift. 

Even after death, Rick remains a kind and thoughtful person.  And it appears that his behest was well placed.  Alex, that was a generous donation to the public for the benefit of their edification.

Alex,

You have done such a good thing.

About Rick, everyone here learnt a lot from him. I remember the time we spent via pm to speak about ribbon bar and research. The most important for me I remember the feeling I had when I heard about his death. And three day after, I received a letter from him sending me informations about some ribbon bars I have in my collection. I still keeping all his letters in a box and sometimes I open it and read them. I truly miss him.

I try to keep his spirit helping people about research but it's not the same without the master

Christophe

• 4 years later...

It is a lot of time since I was at Aeronauticum. But now I could take a better picture of the display.

It is in small letters but his name is there.

Patent Coeler (1).JPG

Patent Coeler (4).JPG

Edited by jaba1914

Dear Alex,  For the first time I see this thread.  Otherwise I would have responded much earlier.  As many others noted, you have done a beautiful thing.  As one who had the enjoyment of knowing Rick for years, I echo their sentiments concerning him as well as your  positive commemorating action in making this document available to the public.  Most sincere thanks to you!

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

A great idea and so well executed, thanks Alex! It's good to see I'm not the only one to miss the old days of GMIC...

For those of us who have lost their track of time, as I often feel I have: Today, it has been seven years since Rick's untimely loss. He still is and will always be missed as a major part of our community that is, in so many regards, what he (with others, of course) developed it to be.

52 minutes ago, saschaw said:

A great idea and so well executed, thanks Alex! It's good to see I'm not the only one to miss the old days of GMIC...

For those of us who have lost their track of time, as I often feel I have: Today, it has been seven years since Rick's untimely loss. He still is and will always be missed as a major part of our community that is, in so many regards, what he (with others, of course) developed it to be.

+1

It doesn’t seem like 7 years. I too miss Rick and for me the hobby hasn’t been the same without him. and yes, I think about Rick often, especially when on forums or when I get a new ribbon bar or medal.