News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baltenkreuz / Where are all the Baltic Crosses?

Hi Paul,

This vet was still in active service 1939. Because two golden LS awards, probably up to Oberst level officer I guess (or what I had been learned here on GMIC). I can understand those mistakes when the person wasn't in service but in this case it is just against the rules.

Still nice and great bar to have what shows "Germans punctuality" wasn't in place all the time. :cheeky:

Hi Paul,

This vet was still in active service 1939. Because two golden LS awards, probably up to Oberst level officer I guess (or what I had been learned here on GMIC). I can understand those mistakes when the person wasn't in service but in this case it is just against the rules.

Still nice and great bar to have what shows "Germans punctuality" wasn't in place all the time. :cheeky:

YES I understand, what I was impling was a saying here in CANADA that who will question a veteran as he has been there for us and can do no wrong

PAUL;

• 1 year later...

"There was apparently no official first or second class - the award was meant to be hung from a ribbon but pinback versions became common. "

According to the text on the back of the document, it seems it was supposed to be worn on the lower left chest (i.e. pinback) but that the ribbon could be worn in the buttonhole?

• 2 months later...

The appropriate certificate, this one issued to a Vize-Feldwebel of the I. Bataillon. 3. Kurlandische Inf-Rgt., of the Iron Division

Edited by Odulf

• 9 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

this one is made in the latvian style. i have not seen these very often. any opinions? is it a fake, or is it a commemorative piece awarded during the abstimmung for oberschlesien in 1921? the cross is very well made, magnetic, and dimensions are correct.

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

hi,

thank you for providing the link to the thread-- it was sent to me a few days ago. this is probably one of the nicest quality fakes i have ever encountered.

do you have any more info on this russian person who made these crosses? i did a web search on him, which did not bring me any results.

thanks again!

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

Hi Eric,

Not that much to add to WAF thread, actually. The guy is an artist, producing all kind of decoration copies (including fantasy pieces, or reconstructions of some mysterious/never seen ones). He's selling them as copies as well, but these are sometimes re-sold as originals. I'm not that much into this, just know that he is one of the old collectors of White Russian stuff, and an Author of some books. Alas, seems like I can't post any pictures here to show some of his creatures....

here is something that may be pertinent to the thread on the other forum. i think the member who initiated the thread is a member over here as well, so hopefully he will see this.

this is from a book i have that deals with the baltic cross. this appears to be a screwback white army baltic cross. perhaps this is the type he once had?