News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SOVIET RUSSIAN JEWELERS MADE ORDER OF THE PATRIOTIC WAR

• Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, Russians did never stich their orders to uniform. And even if they did, why make this complicated pin? It would be much easier just to make two soldered metal rings on the reverse to attach threads to them.

It was done this way to be able to remove and reattach the order to the uniform. If you stitch it to the uniforum with two metal rings, it has to stay there, but if you stick it through the loops, its removable, if the uniform has to be cleaned, for example.

It was done this way to be able to remove and reattach the order to the uniform. If you stitch it to the uniforum with two metal rings, it has to stay there, but if you stick it through the loops, its removable, if the uniform has to be cleaned, for example.

Oh, now I see... But still, as far as I know Russians did not use this type of attachment. For every day uniform they used ribbon bars and for parade uniform they used... look at the picture ;)

Oh, now I see... But still, as far as I know Russians did not use this type of attachment. For every day uniform they used ribbon bars and for parade uniform they used... look at the picture ;)

But at the same time, we haven't seen every kind of uniform that was made, either. If only 50 people bought these awards and used the award loops out of a possible... what... 75 million uniforms, what's the chance that one of the 20 or 30 of us have seen one? Not likely! Russian generals frequently sewed loops on their VP uniforms in order to slide the pin of their medal bar into, so why wouldn't others sew loops for their screwback awards? Loops are a lot easier than making a permanent gaping hole in the uniform, and are easier than making the wierd backing things that a lot of guys made for their awards (see Andrew's photo.) If someone was stationed in E. Germany, there were plenty of tailors that could put on loops in minutes for very little cost, since it was so common in the German army.

Now I also like Andrew's idea of it being a foreign manufactured variant of the 1985 OGPW, since they look to date from about the same time period. I think that's a possibility, but I am personally a little surprised that the Mint would allow that to have happened.

On another note... Andrew, do you have the name of the officer in your photo? He looks VERY familiar - has his group been offered for sale before???

Dave

Guest Rick Research

One "issue" which has NOT been addressed is...

just because it is MARKED "935" (and this was common in Weimar era German awards as the snobbish British sterling standard)...

doesn't mean it really IS 935 silver.

And if the "SILVER" mark is phony

I'm pretty surprised at the life this thread has taken on. An interesting discussion for sure. Depite my "(Truly) Evil Twin's?" paranoia, I have yet to see a fake incused silver mark of German origin. I believe what you have here is a privately made, in Germany OPW for someone who wanted it. probably ca 1950-60. That would be my guess, for what it's worth.

In the end, I elected to pass. Not really willing to put money into "oddities" at this point. I was also surprised where his 20-Year Red Army Medal went.... without anyone who actually knew what they were doing bidding on it.... Again, poor photographs hindered my interest...

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased this example a couple of years ago in Scotland, but it had previously been bought in Azerbaijan. The Azeri seller said that in his opinion it was made by a jeweller around 1985. Photo of pin to follow

• 2 weeks later...

To me it looks like a (Jewelers?) remake of a 1985 issue - probably - as somebody earlier remarked - for theatrical purposes.

And since 1985 issue specimens only cost the odd dollar today this would be the most economical way to produce an easily detachable copy :unsure:

Yes, again, I'm quite suspicious about them and their recent presence on the market... :mad:

Ch.

Christofe, what do you mean by "recent presence on the market"? The first time when this GPW type was observed was five years ago.

Edited by Mondvor

(...) It first appeared on the market about 5 years ago and we had a long discussion with Alex Filer and other fellow collectors about what it actually was... But we didn't come to any conclusion...

Andrew,

Sorry. I misread this previous post, and thought they were appearing only recently.

What seems to be sure is that instead of staying "confidential", they now become more frequent on the market. Curious...

Ch.

Andrew,

Sorry. I misread this previous post, and thought they were appearing only recently.

What seems to be sure is that instead of staying "confidential", they now become more frequent on the market. Curious...

Ch.

I don't know the explanation. But it could be one thing... Of course you know that during last years actual prices for Soviet awards increased greatly. So many American collectors selling out their collections because of two reasons. First reason - they made a great investment and can get three or four times more then they spent buying the orders seven or eight years ago. Second reason - they can not afford any new purchases of Soviet staff. When Red Star Mondvor was 200 USD it was OK, but now it's more than 1000 USD. And if you consider Suvorov or Kutuzov, the distance will be even more dramatic.

So they all put their collections for sale. That's why it's so many new items appeared recently. Just check how many new amazing things has Moiseev on his web site... But the prices :speechless:

• 2 years later...

Gentlemen and Ladies:

These may well be Austria or German made Red Stars that were made for the Collectors market in the 1970s and 1980s. Souval had these in his window and catalog and they were for sale in UK magazines as collectors copies in the 1970s.

Real pieces were difficult to obtain and very,very expensive in those days.

Souval also made these as 'wearing copies" (and souvenirs) for the Allied armies in Austria until the Allies withdrew their forces. He mentioned at one point he had a special license to make Soviet awards locally for Soviet troops.

Stern did an article in May 1983 about Souval and illustrated a medal just like this in it.

The pin and overall "look" appear german to me-not unlike 1957 versions of Ostvolk awards.

Edited by Ulsterman

• 8 years later...

I am pretty sure that Souval is the answer. Got this one when I bought and old collection with Souval awards and Third Reich Stuff, the man bought stuff in germany in 1952.

Mine is marked 800.

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG