News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well, at least two other people thought so to push the price as high as it went. I had a trade show, so no time to bid myself. I look at this bar and the medals were all sewn in a very long time ago. Construction, materials, ribbon age and folding styles are consistent with pre-1870 bars I have owned, handled and sold.

I have only handled one pre-1870 MEZ and the cross looked quite the same as the one on this bar. Look carefully at the photos... I am unaware of anyone casting a copy of the MEZ in silver. The detail to the lines and lettering on the cross sure look right in this photo. Then there's the patina issue. Notice the black everywhere but the highpoints of the cross..... I think there's a high probability that it was real.... then it becomes a gamble because the only way to know for sure would be to have it in-hand.

Well, at least two other people thought so to push the price as high as it went. I had a trade show, so no time to bid myself. I look at this bar and the medals were all sewn in a very long time ago. Construction, materials, ribbon age and folding styles are consistent with pre-1870 bars I have owned, handled and sold.

I have only handled one pre-1870 MEZ and the cross looked quite the same as the one on this bar. Look carefully at the photos... I am unaware of anyone casting a copy of the MEZ in silver. The detail to the lines and lettering on the cross sure look right in this photo. Then there's the patina issue. Notice the black everywhere but the highpoints of the cross..... I think there's a high probability that it was real.... then it becomes a gamble because the only way to know for sure would be to have it in-hand.

Thanks, mate. I love learning things . . . :beer:

The MEZ1 is with 100% a fake and not even a good one. I also don't like the back and the ribbons look like the fake and artificially "browned" ribbons the "Raritaetensammlerclub" usually sells. May the bidder be lucky with it... :speechless:

Edited by JensF.

Now I am confused. Why would someone make a wearers copy? If someone lost the original, could they have applied for a replacement?

Regards

Paul

I have several 2nd class general honor medals and of them is atypical. The medal is thicker, the strike is slightly different, and it is made of something that rusts.

I posted it somewhere and I believe Andreas of medalnet.net posted in response that it was in fact a genuine 'wearer's copy' and that they were all made of different materials. Because of this I don't think that the idea of a wearer's copy is totally far fetched.

I don't have the experience of some others so I can't really comment on authenticity. But one thing that did stand out to me was the fact that the ribbons in the front of the medal bar have such a dirty, well worn look while the red felt on the back seems to be in perfect condition. I don't know if such a state ever occurs naturally, but it sure would put me off of a medal bar with a combination that might be faked.

Guest Brian von Etzel

I would never have bid on this without better photos, I pity the poor buyer... I think the word refund, Erstattung, or any other variation will have little impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I'm rather sure JensF. made the point. The bar is not genuine at all as well as the MEZ I. class isn't. The same seller sold now this one which I don't like, and the bar has the very same style

Another thing he sold was a Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen with a "Jubiläumszahl" which also did not seem to be fine - link to Ebay.

:shame::shame::shame:

:violent:

post-1172-1162651982.jpg

post-1172-1162651993.jpg

Edited by saschaw

He,

Experts,

what is MISSING at the first bar???

2x MEZ, one 1864 cross, 1866 cross but where is the 1864 war MEDAL????

On the first view a unthinkable combination. That is like a Veteran is wearing a well mounted bar with an EK 1870 and a Centenary medal but "forgot" the 1870 war medal.

Best regards

Daniel