News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

4 placed Schaumburg-Lippe medal bar of a Court servant (Adolf Krause?)

Dear forumites,

I was checking some old images of my brother's collection and I stumbled on this old and tiny jpg-Picture of an old Hüsken's catalogue, a German dealer of Hamburg. My brother acquired this bar from Thies in 2004 well after the Hüsken's catalogue came out, but fortunately my brother saved the Hüsken pics of this bar, that it was sold WITH a named document (!!!!). Unfortunately the documents is so tiny that I can only read the name Adolf Krause... Hof... something, very likely he worked at the court of the Fürst of Schaumburg-Lippe.

Here's the composition of the bar:

• Schaumburg-Lippe Kreuz für treue Dienste am Nichtkämpferband (OEK 1256/1);
    • Schaumburg-Lippe, Hausorden, goldene Verdienstkreuz, 1917-1918 (OEK 1219);
    • Schaumburg-Lippe, Hausorden, silberne Verdienstkreuz, 1869-1918 (OEK 1220), Br vg (1914-1917);
    • Schaumburg-Lippe, Erinnerungsmedaille an die Silberne Hochzeit, 1907 (OEK 1242).

As you can see it's the same bar we are speaking of; somebody has the entries of the Schaumburg-Lippe medals rolls? Maybe we could now more about the original owner of this singular medal bar devoted entirely to Schaumburg Lippe.

I'm eagerly waiting for your precious inputs and thank you in advance for your interest.

Best regards,

Claudio

645714329_4erSpangeMarcoHsken.JPG.5b417dee776aed00f680ef2d5b74a0bf.JPG

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

PS: I forgot to say that the Golden Verdienstkreuz on the bar was very sparely conceded... this is a Silver gilted version not the full Golden one... that would be even rarer!

Edited by Claudio

The person in the Huesken document is Hofmaurermeister, later Baumeister, Adolf Krauß.

I do not know how many other possible matches there are. I have been cross-checking the SLKw list against the rolls for the Ehrenkreuz and Verdienstkreuz, as well as the 1918 Schaumburg-Lippe Court & State Handbook, but I am not finished. 

I have been thinking of this bar the entire day, it has captured my attention it seems:whistle:. I have thought of two possibilities, both these medalbars were made by the same person/jeweler, untill here the two possibilities are identical. However, perhaps they belonged to two persons at court with roughly the same rank, who had the bar made by the same jeweler in town, or these medalbars belonged to the same person.

There are far too many similarities to consider these two pieces 'just happen to look the same'. It is my opinion these bars were made by the same jeweler, or the same person.

Kind regards, Laurentius

The two bars are almost identical for what concerns the style of mounting and the type of red fabric on the reverse. But for sure there are not many bars like these ones or even with the very same exclusive Schaumburg-Lippe connection. It could be that the original wearer had two of them: that is nevertheless strange because one he would have mounted it as a Frackspange (tuxedo bar) and the other one as ordinary bar. 

The holes on the back are just superficial moths damage to the fabric.

Edited by Claudio

On 23/09/2019 at 19:11, Dave Danner said:

The person in the Huesken document is Hofmaurermeister, later Baumeister, Adolf Krauß.

I do not know how many other possible matches there are. I have been cross-checking the SLKw list against the rolls for the Ehrenkreuz and Verdienstkreuz, as well as the 1918 Schaumburg-Lippe Court & State Handbook, but I am not finished. 

So what would he doe for a living?

On 22/09/2019 at 18:37, VtwinVince said:

Don't show that one to Roman!

Haha...it´s "only" Schaumburg-Lippe, so I´m pretty relaxed.

I have the (incomplete) rolls for Schaumburg-Lippe here, but there are already more than 20 possible candiates (incl. Adolf Krauß), who got beside the golden merit cross also the silver one.
    So the identification of this bar might be not possible.

Regards
    Roman

3 hours ago, Solomon said:

Haha...it´s "only" Schaumburg-Lippe, so I´m pretty relaxed.

I have the (incomplete) rolls for Schaumburg-Lippe here, but there are already more than 20 possible candiates (incl. Adolf Krauß), who got beside the golden merit cross also the silver one.
    So the identification of this bar might be not possible.

Regards
    Roman

Hi Roman! 

I knew that you’re more a Lippe-Detmold kind of collector ?

I’m a bit surprised that there were so many possible candidates...

Thank you anyway for looking into it.

BR

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

I took a closer look on the list and I count even 31 candidates, who awarded the combination silver + golden merit cross Schaumburg-Lippe (and I already deleted the entries with other known awards).
    So there are even more possible candidates, as the Schaumburg rolls unfortunately don´t show their birthdays (with which
    at least some can be excluded)....nevertheless a really nice medalbar!

• 2 weeks later...