News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

You have seen tis pic in 100 books......

Not sure why this picture in is a 100 books but it is not the commonly used picture of Hitler(even though it is the same location). I do not believe Hitler is actually in the picture. The picture below is the picture usually used to show Hitler at this location:

0c.thumb.jpg.775a919a4e0cf6b42884c274fb6b7442.jpg

49 minutes ago, graham said:

Not sure why this picture in is a 100 books but it is not the commonly used picture of Hitler(even though it is the same location). I do not believe Hitler is actually in the picture. The picture below is the picture usually used to show Hitler at this location:

0c.thumb.jpg.775a919a4e0cf6b42884c274fb6b7442.jpg

You nailed it.... when I saw it for sale I assumed it was the Hitler one... I did not look close enough... when it arrived I thought I was going crazy looking for him... just to realise it must have been one of a series and Hitler was still off drinking tea when this one was taken... close... but no cigar...

2 hours ago, 1812 Overture said:

These people do not wear masks. . The virus will spread rapidly:ninja:

People back then were wiser... Covid kills more people in a week than died of poison gas in all of WW1... yet the soldiers back then were all wise enough to listen to experts and wear their gas masks... I guess they did not have youtuber telling them it was not necessary ?

Interesting article about the picture:

The original negative is gone and it is believed that Hitler was put in later by the photographer.

Has anyone here knowledge how such retouching was done and maybe finds a hint?

Could be that the Easterbunny was the only special person there... 

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/bearbeitete-geschichte-weltkriegsjubler-hitler-1.2071039

Edited by Utgardloki

2 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

The difference between covid victims and WW1 gas victims is that most victims of the virus are elderly with pre-existing health issues, whilst those gassed in the great war were healthy young men. Not a useful comparison.

I will still wear my mask to protect the elderly ?

2 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

Absolutely, I think staying away from crowds, especially indoors, is key.

Just what I am doing... the last week at home, just the wife, me and the kids... 2 quick trips to the shop... then home.... watched the shinning.... Jack had some damned fine ideas!! Militaria keeps me sane ?

According to Raymond Cartier in his bio of Hitler until the take of the power, The photo was taken by Heinrich Hoffmann in 1914. its very possible, Hoffmann was in 1914 a well known photograph. well ,in 1920 Hoffmann joined the NSDAP, beginning a long relationship with Hitler . he was an active graphic propagandist of the future Fuhrer . In these context Hoffmann coul have inserted the face of Hitler in the famous photo . to confirm the words of Adolf .

As we see in pic one, finding a rat faced weasel with a toothbrush mustache in a 1914 München crowd was like finding a guy in a tie die t-shirt at on a woodstock photo... could have been a lookalike... I have seem any prewar and wartime touchups... adding a complete hitler there would have been next level magic back then?

The article I posted above states an enlargement was already done in the 1920s.

I wonder if this one with the circled enlargement is the only one around. I would call it highly suspicious if there isn't a high resolution version of this picture with Hitler in it, from which everyone in the crowd can be enlarged in the same quality. I hope it's clear what I mean, it's hard in English...

Edited by Utgardloki

22 minutes ago, Utgardloki said:

The article I posted above states an enlargement was already done in the 1920s.

I wonder if this one with the circled enlargement is the only one around. I would call it highly suspicious if there isn't a high resolution version of this picture with Hitler in it, from which everyone in the crowd can be enlarged in the same quality. I hope it's clear what I mean, it's hard in English...

Agree 100% ... a number of possibilities... 1) he was there... he had to be somewhere... 2) The ace of someone else was doctored to look like him ...3) there was another guy who looked similar

Hoffmann was very prolific, you see many of his pics in period books... so maybe he doctored an image he had never released... otherwise he would have published it in the 20s and some guy says "hey, i bought this card in 1915... the hitler guy is not on it back then!"

For me the question is why does he have this mustache? in the WW1 Hitler pics he has a more "normal" one. This looks like a postwar hitler IMHO

True, he almost looks exactly like the "perfect Hitler", you would imagine when thinking of such a picture... I remember being a bit disappointed after I have first seen the WW1-Hitler, not looking as hitlerish as I imagined... (hmm - that's a weird sentence)

Edited by Utgardloki

well I read about the later added Hitler as well, I guess that these photographers or the guys working on them were real masters in what they did. Take the handcolorised orders and medals for example or think of the photos of WW2 where knights crosses or oak leaves were added on old photos. So it was pretty comon practice to enhance photos to show what people should see and wanted to see.