News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Long time lurker but finally decided to make an account

I am hoping to identify the awards on the medal bar of Sigurd von Ilsemann who was the adjutant to Kaiser Wilhelm II after he abdicated. Little information is know about him other than that he fought in the Champagne-Ardenne campaign in WW1 and reached the rank of Hauptmann. From this one photo I found online, I can determine the following awards:

1. Iron Cross 1st Class

2. House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight with Swords

3. Order of the Red Eagle, 4th Class with Swords on war ribbon

4. Albert Order, Knight's Cross 1st Class with swords

5. Saxon Order of Merit, Knight Second Class

6. Order of the Zähringer Lion Knight, First Class

7. Fredrich August medal based on the stripes?

8. ?

10. Austro-Hungarian Military merit cross

11. ? 

12. ?

For the 11th award, my initial thoughts was the unofficial Champagne campaign cross but its placement as a foreign award doesn't make sense. For the 12th one, the Bulgarian order of St alexander comes into mind but the shield in the center threw me off. Any help is appreciated! 

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 3.05.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 3.07.41 PM.png

The last 2 are both bulgarian.

Military merit order and Order of Alexander.

5 is no Saxon merit, but a Wuerttemberg Frederick knight 1st class.

7 is a hessen bravery medal, the saxon Friedrich August was never ever awarded to an Officer 

Best,

Daniel

2 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

The last 2 are both bulgarian.

Military merit order and Order of Alexander.

I thought so too in the beginning but the Order of st alexander ranks higher in precedence so it would've been placed in front.

2 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

7 is a hessen bravery medal, the saxon Friedrich August was never ever awarded to an Officer 

He may have recieved one as an officer cadet, Ive heard of such things happening.

Thank you for your insights nonetheless!

By the way, number 8 is a brunswick Order of Henry the lion 4th class.

He did not get a Friedrich August as a officer candidate 🙂 This would show up in the Prussian Army lists. His hessen Bravery Medal is the right one, believe me 😉

Just checked my files, he did indeed get both Bulgarian orders in the Offiers class. Why he did wear the Alex after the Military Merit might have been his decision, even if the rules were different.

Best,

Daniel

46 minutes ago, P.F. said:

Last two possibly:

-Finnish Order of Liberty

-Bulgarian Order of St. Alexander with Swords

There is not a von Ilsemann in my list of German recipients of the Liberty Cross. 

On 26/03/2023 at 23:21, JohanH said:

There is not a von Ilsemann in my list of German recipients of the Liberty Cross. 

It's the Bulgarian order of Military Merit. It's red enameled and has a tendency to reflect. This is why it appears that the middle of the arms have a different colour which might lead some to conclude a Finnish rather than a Bulgarian decoration. The last two are both Bulgarian in my opinion.

Kind regards, Laurentius

I agree. I have never thought it to be the Finnish Liberty cross.

My message was a reply to P.F. who said it could possibly be the Liberty cross. My reply was only meant to say that it is highly unlikely that it is the Liberty cross since there is no von Ilsemann in the roll of crosses to germans. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, mostly filmmakers get decorations, even  ranks wrong ... did they get them right this time? Why would he receive the RAO II with Swords as Hauptmann? Ben Daniels as "Oberst" (was he ever Oberst?) Sigurd von Ilsemann in The Exception. 

Ben Daniels as Col. Sigurd von Ilsemann in The Exception.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Here is von Ilsemann (right) during the burial of Kaiser Wilhelm II on 9 June 1941. What is the small decoration to the left of his EK I (maybe the Erinnerungszeichen zum 80. Geburtstag Kaiser Wilhelms II.)? And the neck order is the Königlicher Hausorden von Hohenzollern Kreuz der Komture mit Schwertern? Thanks! 

Sigurd von Ilsemann bei der Beisetzung von Kaiser Wilhelm II., 9. Juni 1941.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

13 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Gentlemen, mostly filmmakers get decorations, even  ranks wrong ... did they get them right this time? Why would he receive the RAO II with Swords as Hauptmann? Ben Daniels as "Oberst" (was he ever Oberst?) Sigurd von Ilsemann in The Exception. 

Ben Daniels as Col. Sigurd von Ilsemann in The Exception.jpg

Filmmakers dont care because the audience mostly is indifferent or unknowing. So dont be surprised

• 3 weeks later...
    On 26/03/2023 at 19:00, Daniel Krause said:

By the way, number 8 is a brunswick Order of Henry the lion 4th class.

He did not get a Friedrich August as a officer candidate 🙂 This would show up in the Prussian Army lists. His hessen Bravery Medal is the right one, believe me 😉

Just checked my files, he did indeed get both Bulgarian orders in the Offiers class. Why he did wear the Alex after the Military Merit might have been his decision, even if the rules were different.

Best,

Daniel

correct, Sigurd von Ilsemann recieved his cross 4th class in 1910 as Leutnant Garde Infanterie Regiment 115

I hope this list is correct and complete:

Brunswick House Order of Henry the Lion, 4th Class (BrH4) in 1910

Iron Cross (1914), 2nd and 1st Class

Hessian Bravery Medal (Hessische Tapferkeitsmedaille; HT)

Order of the Red Eagle, 4th Class with Swords on War Ribbon

Saxon Albrechts-Orden, Knight 1st Class with Swords (SA3a⚔)

Friedrichs-Orden, Ritter I. Klasse (WF3a)

Bulgarian Order of Military Merit, Officer with Swords

Military Merit Cross (Austria-Hungary), 3rd Class with Swords

Bulgarian Order of Saint Alexander, Officer with Swords

Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion (Orden vom Zähringer Löwen), Knight's Cross I. Class with Swords (BZL3a⚔/BZ3a⚔)

House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight's Cross with Swords (HOH3⚔)

Commemorative plaque for the royal princes, general adjutants and adjutants of Kaiser Wilhelm II. (Gedenkzeichen für die Königlichen Prinzen, Generaladjutanten und Flügeladjutanten von Kaiser Wilhelm II.)

House Order of Hohenzollern, Commander with Swords (neck order)

Erinnerungszeichen zum 70. Geburtstag Kaiser Wilhelms II.

Treuedienstmedaille zum 75. Geburtstag Kaiser Wilhelms II.

Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (eligible to receive)

Erinnerungszeichen zum 80. Geburtstag Kaiser Wilhelms II.