News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

22 minutes ago, saxcob said:

Note that the EC EK is for 1914 but the KDM for 1870/71. 

Saxcob is right, this guy got the KDM for 1870/71 then served the whole imperial era and earned the EK 2 on the white ribbon in WW1 and also the Merit Cross for War Aid in 1917. This medal bar tells a life time story of an guy who lived and served Prussia well in the good old imperial time! I love medal bars like this.

So I need to tell you the name of the recipient of the last medal bar, that I have posted here. She belonged to Theodor Kermess who worked at the Reichstag, he was a servant in the auditorium. 

If you wanted to learn more on orders, medals and bars you may are interested in my new books on the duchy of Brunswick. 

You can find more information on these books here: https://www.schwarzbuch-verlag.de/unser-programm/blaue-reihe/braunschweiger-orden-und-ehrenzeichen/

There is also a view into the book for every book on this page.

Book 1 with 508 pages deals with the orders

Book 2 with 436 pages deals with all the medals

Book 3 with 358 pages deals with the recipients of the order HdL, shows all names and a reprint of the von Vechelde from 1837 (only the part which deals with Brunswick)

You can order directly at the publishing company at orden@schwarzbuch-verlag.de

We ship worldwide.

Cover.jpeg

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, I would like to introduce Alexander Halm to you. He was born in 1840 and died 1913. So he never was forced to see the downfall of the German Empire, lucky man he was!

He served as mayor in Metz and later became president of the district of Unter Elsaß-Lothringen. This was one of the three districts of the Reichslande Elsaß-Lothringen built 1871. As you may spot, he wore the commanders cross second class of the order of Henry the Lion around his neck, also the Comander of St. Albrecht from Saxonia, which is nearly hidden behind his jacket and the Prussian crown order 2nd class. On his medal bar you can spot the red eagle 3. class with bow, the crown order 3rd class and the Bavarian 3rd class of the merit order of holy Michael.

As the Reichslande were directly controlled by the German Emperor, one would expect only Prussian awards and orders, so how comes that Alexander Halm wore Brunswick, Bavarian and Saxon orders? Well, after the victory in 1871, Duke Wilhelm of Brunswick wasn’t willing to sign the military convention and giving up his supreme commando on the troops of the Duchy of Brunswick. So he was forced to leave his Infantry Regiment 92 in Metz, where it was stationed until 1886. (You can read about this in much deeper details in my books on the Orders and Medals from Brunswick). Other contingents in the fortress of Metz were from Saxiona and Bavaria. So that is the explanation why the mayor from Metz was was also getting orders from this German States.

I am not sure about the uniform he wears, was this the uniform of a chamber key master or was this a uniform for presidents of a district? Maybe one of you can help me with this. He was also a district chief executive in his political career.

Scan.jpg

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

3 hours ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

How do you like this very special medal bar from Brunswick?

BS15.jpg

I haven't seen something like this in a very long time.  Can we see the reverse too.  What is the speculation of what kind of position someone had who had this bar.   Not straight military.  A Brunswick court person who was at Franco-Prussian war battles (as an observer?).    I don't have my H&S book handy....how does someone earn those first two awards?

8 hours ago, graham said:

BlackcowboyBS,

That is a great bar. Do you know who the owner was and how he won the 'Life saving medal' ?

Hi Graham,

yes, due to the Langensalza medal you can easily tell the owner of this medal bar. The bar belonged to Lindemann. He won the life saving medal for the rescue of a comrad and saved him from drowning. Lindemann made his way up until sergant then left the army and became tax collector.

8 hours ago, Claudius said:

I haven't seen something like this in a very long time.  Can we see the reverse too.  What is the speculation of what kind of position someone had who had this bar.   Not straight military.  A Brunswick court person who was at Franco-Prussian war battles (as an observer?).    I don't have my H&S book handy....how does someone earn those first two awards?

Hi Claudius see above, he was sergant at the end of his military career and became tax collector. Lindemann got his merit cross 2nd class 1883 and the first class of the merit cross in 1904. Against the official regulations he kept his 2nd class and mounted it on the ribbon of his long service medal for 15 years. 

If you are interested in stories like this, you find many more in my books on the Brunswick orders and medals from 1696 untill 1918.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pure beauty so much very interesting pieces on it! I love that he has also the life saving medal, I truley admire the Lippe cross with swords on the ring, I love the hanseatic cross from Bremen. Very very nice! By the way was he really actice on the front line? Do you have any information on that?

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

7 hours ago, Solomon said:

Another small contribution from my side...

It´s the medalbar of Friedrich Metze, director of the Artilleriewerkstatt Lippstadt.Lippe-Metze-Schnalle-VS-web.thumb.jpg.eb2f91e8fb13e8dd9c398124f4ed1937.jpg

This medal bar has so many wonderful things about it.  I could stare at it for a long time and not get tired of it.  The Lifesaving medal....the Lippe House Order (with Swords on the Ring!)... the Bremen and the Saxe-Weimer cross!!  All together on one bar. 

Bravo!

Sorry for getting all gushy about this bar.

Hehe, same for me, that´s why I gave this medalbar a new home among its Lippe-family.
    The most interesting part of the bar is the Lippe house-order.
    Officially this award (4th class with swords on the ring) could never been awarded, due to the construction
    of the statues it was impossible.
    Metze got this award, which was only produced five times, only, because the Prince ran at the end of October 1918
    out of stock of the correct award (4th class Div. A with swords).
    Luckily I can proof this wired fact by some copies from the archives.

Lippe-Metze-Etui LDH4a m XaR-VS-web.jpg

11 hours ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

By the way was he really actice on the front line? Do you have any information on that?

Yes, I found somewhere online scans of some letters he was writing to his wife from the front.
    At least for a short time he must have been at the front.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Okay, last one for this year! Meet Max Karl August Gottschalck, Generalmajor at the end of his long and meritious career. In 1870/71 he served with IR 31. In this picture, taken in Göttingen, we see him as commander (Oberst and Regimentskommandeur) of IR 82, stationed there. A post he held from 1.3.1888 to 23.3.1890. Amongst all his other medals and orders he wears his nicely pictured BrHL2b.

All the best for 2021!

DSC05228.JPG

• 2 weeks later...