News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Of course, historically speaking, the complete bars are better, and what the man had put on are what makes the history....

Buuuuuuutttttt.... deep down in your heart... do you prefer bars the way the man had it in november 1918, even if just a single EK2..... or the bars of the mid 30s with Hindy-cross and the whole bunch of 1920's "apply for's...send a self addresses envelpe and RM10 to cover costs"?

This is hard, and our aesthetics don't matter. Both options represent the usually hidden history of the person and both reflect his time and how he saw and displayed his own service. Given the option, of course, I'd go pre-WWI entirely, though research chances are slimmer.

This is hard, and our aesthetics don't matter. Both options represent the usually hidden history of the person and both reflect his time and how he saw and displayed his own service. Given the option, of course, I'd go pre-WWI entirely, though research chances are slimmer.

Hi,

do you mean pre 1914 or pre 1918 ?

I prefer a bar with purely WW1 awards on it. It can have a postwar veterans gong or two, but preferably no Honour Cross. Have I bought them? Yes, and then usually sold it later. But definitely, Never, will I like that d@mned faithful service cross with the swastika. I can tolerate an honour cross, but that thing just ruins the whole bar for me. :angry:

I'm with Ed on this one... I prefer the pre 1914 bars over any others....

1870 IC with Oaks, 1870 with bars and Centenial medal then throw in a long service and a few other bits and bobs..... Wee Haa :jumping: !!!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mravery

Guest Rick Research

Whatever the original owner last wore. Which is why so many are 1930s.

These are "award biographies," and give a sense of LIVING.

Aye.... but sometimes they just confuse the issue, like a guy with bulgarian medlas who never served anywhere near there. I can imagine the somme or Verdun cross, or a verein medal withcombat bars etc helping chart the mans history... but , Bulgaran "buy ME`s" are just senseless padding.

I collect bars and the persons behind them (or at least their history - otherwise it would be creepy :P ). If the person chose to mount regimental awards or whatever, it's all part of his story and thus neither better nor worse that any other bar...

/Mike

Amen to that!

Matthijs.

I prefer a bar with purely WW1 awards on it. It can have a postwar veterans gong or two, but preferably no Honour Cross. Have I bought them? Yes, and then usually sold it later. But definitely, Never, will I like that d@mned faithful service cross with the swastika. I can tolerate an honour cross, but that thing just ruins the whole bar for me. :angry:

Whatever the original owner last wore. Which is why so many are 1930s.

Rick is right, but I personally prefer bars without Nazi "stuff" (including the Hindy Cross).

Or, as I said, pre-1914. But so few, so few, of those. And research possibilities are limited.