News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 5 weeks later...

I´ve got hold of this saxon cadet pic. I´m 99 % sure that the name on the back reads "Rudolf Franz".

I´ve checked the register of the cadet corps from Johannes Hoeser from 1937 and there was no second person with this or a similar name at the corps.

But what confuses me is

a) the Dating 1887-1888 (Arrow): Rudolf Franz was born 1893, joined the saxon cadet corps 1907, left it 1913 to join Ulanrenrgt. 21. One year later he fell in Poland. He received the St. Henry posthumously.

and

b) the photographers adress: according to Adreßbuch Dresden Atelier Th. Kirsten was in Bautznerstr. 79 only from 1876-1887.

What are your opinions relating to the name?

Gruß Stefan

I´ve got hold of this saxon cadet pic. I´m 99 % sure that the name on the back reads "Rudolf Franz".

I´ve checked the register of the cadet corps from Johannes Hoeser from 1937 and there was no second person with this or a similar name at the corps.

But what confuses me is

a) the Dating 1887-1888 (Arrow): Rudolf Franz was born 1893, joined the saxon cadet corps 1907, left it 1913 to join Ulanrenrgt. 21. One year later he fell in Poland. He received the St. Henry posthumously.

and

b) the photographers adress: according to Adreßbuch Dresden Atelier Th. Kirsten was in Bautznerstr. 79 only from 1876-1887.

What are your opinions relating to the name?

Gruß Stefan

Think I´ve got it: It´s Rudolf Krantz :jumping: (name on the pic false written), St. Henry Winner, Kdr. of Reichswehr-IR 11 and Wehrmacht-General who was wounded at the Eastern front as Cdr. 454 Sicherungsdivision and died in Dresden . From 1887-1891 he was a cadet in Dresden which fit with the dating on the picture.

Anyone able to provide a later pic of him please?

Gruß Stefan

• 4 weeks later...

The other abbreviations were fairly normal ones for aviation units. The person in question, OLt.d.R. Nikolai Hermann Clausen, was a Hzgl. anhalt. Landmesser and Lt.d.R. in IR 162, and went to Beobachter training in 1916. I suppose artillery observer makes more sense for a Landmesser than infantry officer.

I found it on p.88 of Cron: "Gruppen-Bildstelle" or "Gruppenbildstelle". Cron abbreviates it "Gru-Bi-Stelle", so I guess the Bavarians just chopped a few more letters off and smashed it together. And there was a Gruppen-Bildstelle Nr. 143, as it shows up as a unit in an awards list in the Verordnungsblatt des Kgl. Bayer. Kriegsministeriums in 1919.

I am also wondering if and how he is related to Nikolai Asmus Clausen, the WW2 U-Boot commander and RKT. The name is more common than you might think. There were at least three different Nikolai Clausens in World War I, all from Schleswig-Holstein.

Edited by Dave Danner

Ah, ok! Thank you! That was my fault. In my "headache-head" this morning, I linked "Grubist" to "Grubenarbeiter" (miner)... One of the few bottles of wine might be bad...

Of course, it is Gruppenbildstelle 143. That was a bavarian one. Set-up 26.4.1918 from AOK6. Before this date it was Gruppenbildstelle Nr.517

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Fellow Members,

After I spent some time preparing to my exams, I finally have some time for my hobby. I would like to describe the below pictures on my website and would highly appreciate your help with reading the text below.

I know it is much (particularly last picture!), but I am really interested what's behind the text that I can't understand.

Kind regards and have a nice Sunday.

Marcin

Hello Marcin.

The1st inscription identifies the people pictured. # 1 is Gen.Major Freiherr v. Pletten Arnbach ( ?);

2. and 3. the adjudants, 4. the Gerichtsoffizier ( legal affairs officer);

Photo taken in April 1917 in barracks yard of ...? kaserne.

2nd description is an explanation of the picture. Here a march past a royal personage ( cannot quite read it) The sender is in the first rank.

Sender also sends greetings to another person.

3rd description is a Thank You letter to a 1st Lt. for his and the staff's congratulations at the occasion of the writers E.K.II bestowal for which he is thankful. Also for the same occasion the recipient apparently forwarded gratulatory words from a general. The writer asks to convey his appreciation to all parties.

The writer seems to be a Schirrmeister ( NCO rank) and the wording is formulated in a very respectful fashion because of his addressing superior ranking persons.

I hope this helps,

Bernhard H. Holst

• 2 months later...