News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Chip,

I thought it was something like Sch...dal, so our thoughts are not too far off.

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately there is very little info available about this unit, so this elusive name will be a great help to me!

On 11.12.2009 at 01:48, Naxos said:

Chris, all I can make out is: Mutter verst. 25.10.18 (most likely in this case abbreviation for verständigt but it is also the abbr. for verstorben). The rest are more abbreviations, sorry.

Hi Chris,

it means verstorben (passed away) and refers to the column where details of parents are noted.

GreyC

6 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

Hi Chip,

I thought it was something like Sch...dal, so our thoughts are not too far off.

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately there is very little info available about this unit, so this elusive name will be a great help to me!

I, too, read ....dal. The rest is more difficult.

GreyC

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks a lot! The signature comes from an aerial photo dated 26 July 1916. Do you know exactly when Hptm Karl Schwab left the command?

Hi Andy,

This man is mentioned as a Ltn in the Verlustlisten in 1914 - he was from Ulm, Württemberg.

Thanks all !

Hi Andy

According to an personal file for him he joined FuAR 13 on 29.06.1907. He later moved to Lehr Reg FuAR Sch Sch(dont have exact date at hand) and before the War he served at FB 1/1. That file contained limited info on his WW1 career but he also served during WW2 and reached the rank as Obstlt.

Does the honour ranklist of FuAR 13 mention the place of birth for Hptm Walter ? I do think it is Plieningen but is not 100 % sure ?

Gunnar

Hi Andy

I do think that Schwab was active officer all the time, only moved to another Regiment.He is listed as active in RQL14.

Thanks for checking about Walter. Does the ranklist mention date of birth ? because I am interested in verification about Hptm Wagner who had a similar career to Walter.

Gunnar

No, the ranklists only mention the second name, the medals and the promotion of his last rank.

I did find a Lt. Schwab in Fußart.Rgt.13 (ranklist 1909)

Promotion (called: Patent) 18.11.06. With this date we can follow his career.

Rank list 1911: like 1909

Rank list 1912: like 1909, with comment: "kommandiert zur Militärtechnischen Akademie" (commandet to military-technical academy)

Rank list 1913: Leutnant in Lehr-Regiment of Fußartillerie Schießschule

Rank list 1914: like 1913 with comment: kommandiert zur Dienstleistung beim Flieger-Bataillon 1 (commanded to duty at Aviation-Bataillon 1)

Stellenbesetzung 1919: promoted to Hauptmann 18.8.16

Honour-Ranklist: Lehr-Regiment (Fußart.Schießschule), comment: after armistice Major a.D. (außer Dienst = off duty), later in Reichsheer

Rank list 1920: Hauptmann in Art.Rgt.5 (comment: before: K.K.240 (I don´t know what that means...)

In Fußart.Rgt.13 I found a Leutnant Walter (Rank list 1914), promotion 22.11.08. Is that your man?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could tell me what award this abbreviation above the EK2 signifies (SRVM?). The man in question was a Gefreiter in Jäger Battalion 2 in 1914. And he was born in Reichenau (Zittau) if this helps?

Oh, and this is from the Bavarian archives. The guy's name is Kurt Anders and his date of birth was 17.06.1893.

Thanks a lot.

xx1xx1.JPG

Edited by Mattyboy

Hi Mattyboy,

it´s always good to have more text to work with in cases where one wants to decipher words or similar letters.

It does look like a "R"  but could maybe be a "K" more text would help to compare. Same is true with the first letter. Could be a "S" or an "I".

The two words beneath means "mit Schw[ertern]" - with swords - if this is of any help trying to identify the medal.

GreyC

Hi,

it´s still dificult to decide if "K" or "R". The "R" in Reichenau looks similar, the "K" in Kurt doesn´t, but then, it´s a different type of script/font. The "K" in K[öniglich] S[ächsische] Fliege[er] Ers. Abt. looks quite similar, though.

GreyC

a.png

aa.png

aaa.png

aaaa.png

Edited by GreyC

It says:

Am Kemmel durch Kopierstift Augen entzündet (kein Selbstverschulden)

5.5.18 ins Feldlazarett 122 Dt. Feldpost 358

Near or on the Kemmel [village as well as hill in Westflandres) eye infection through indelible pencil (not his fault= not intentionally)

GreyC

As strange as it seems, injuries thru the use of Kopierstifte (indelible pencils) were at that time quite common. Because of the mix of ingredients of the ink, which was poisenous if in contact with wounds, many clerks had infections after they accidentally pierced themselves with this type of pencil. Another common phenomenon was the blue lip or tongue, as the people tended to lick on the mine of the pencil. As it was indelible, you could identify clerks by their blue lips as such.

GreyC

•  

Edited by GreyC