News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I read

k.k. Major Outl

als Gast  mit den Offiz.

der Brig(ade). Stab

Brig St. (Offz)

bei ??

Oberst Gottberg am 17.8.18 gefallen

that colonel was Lorenz von Gottberg  (05.01.1862-17.08.1918)  Here are his wartime commands as far as I can determine them

17.08.18     in franz. Flandern gef.

22.06.18-17.08.18     Kom. d. 96. Res. Inf. Brig.

13.01.17-22.06.18     ??

21.05.15-13.01.17     Kom. d. Inf. R. 98

01.10.14-05.04.15     Kom. d. Inf. R. 55

04.05.12-01.10.14     Kom. d. III./Inf. R. 55  (Detmold)

His promotions:  Oberst  18-10-17  Oberstlt.  24-12-14  Major  17-09-09

Andy

Hello!

I couldn´t find an Outl. In the austrian ranklist from 1908 are four Ontl (his name sounds like an abbreviation...)

Three captains (14.Inf.Rgt., 2.Festungs-Art.Rgt., 42.Inf.Rgt.) and one 1st Lt. in 59.Inf.Rgt.

One or more of them probably could have been Major in the war

Hello!

Of course, he promoted to Oberst in 1917.

So he fell one day after the photo was taken??????

The 96.Res.Brig. was under command of 48.Res.Div. (Res.Rgt. 221, 222, 223)

3.7.18-20.8.1918: Battle between Arras and Albert. Throughout August and September the division stood southwest of Gavrelle (north-east of Arras).

Erwin, could you please show the entire photo? I´d like to see the austrian Major. Thanks!

Screenshot (167).png

Edited by The Prussian

14 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Erwin, could you please show the entire photo? I´d like to see the austrian Major. Thanks!

Not the entire photo, but Ill post the bit what is important. I have actually 2 photo's of the same officer group but in complete different setting. Both will be 'published' some time though. 

The left guy has '22' on his boards. The Oberst in the middle as said before has '55' on his boards. The right guy most likely has a 2 digit number starting with a '5'.

So yes. If the captions are correct, he fell the day after the photo's were taken. 

Thanks so far, already more information that I could hoped for.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 21.30.57.jpg

Edited by ErwinZ

In the 1914 Austrian Army list there were three active officers names Ontl.

Major August Ontl, Batl. Kom. in IR 14     date of rank as Major 01.05.1912

Hptm. Friedrich Ontl in IR 59     date of rank as Hptm. 01.05.1903

Hptm. Joseph Ontl in IR 59     date of rank as Hptm. 01.05.1912

I think that the first two are your best candidates, as Friedrich certainly would have been promoted Major by 1918.  Since I am not that familiar with the Austrian officers of 1914/18, I'll leave it to those who are to perhaps determine if any of these is the man in the photograph.

Andy 

August was promoted to Oberstleutnant on 1.3.15 and Oberst on 26.6.17.

According to the 1916 k.u.k. Rangliste, Friedrich was promoted to Major on 1.8.14. He is not listed in the 1918 Rangliste.  He may have been a casualty, but only about 10% of the k.u.k. Verlustlisten have been transcribed online. 

Josef (4.8.1875-10.4.1943) was promoted to Major on 1.1.18, so he seems to be the likely candidate.  He was an Oberst (1.6.24) in the Bundesheer and retired as a Titular-Generalmajor on 23.4.28 (is "Tit." the Austrian equivalent to "Char."?).

9 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

Josef (4.8.1875-10.4.1943) was promoted to Major on 1.1.18, so he seems to be the likely candidate.  He was an Oberst (1.6.24) in the Bundesheer and retired as a Titular-Generalmajor on 23.4.28 (is "Tit." the Austrian equivalent to "Char."?).

Yes that's the guy we are looking for. Just did a search on him and this match came up from http://www.rainerregiment.at/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106&Itemid=118

Capture.JPG

That´s him, right!

But I wonder, what he did at the western front?

The ranklist of 1918 shows him in IR59:

http://www.rainerregiment.at/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=290&Itemid=208

And here he is listed in may 1918 (choose Offiziersliste "N I", not N II O!)

http://www.rainerregiment.at/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=204&Itemid=133

I don´t know what the "w" left of the date means. Commanded to the Western Front???????:rolleyes:

Probably he just made a visit (privatly or as an observer).

In that period no austrian units were in that area.

At that time, his unit was under command of VI.Corps in Italy

Edited by The Prussian

I'm kinda new to WW1 research so I have no idea what an Austrian is doing there. But maybe this deserves it's own topic, apart from the translation bit.

So the right soldier could be an Austrian officer from IR59 accompanying the Major? 

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...