News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Database with photos of officers showing their knight cross with X of Hohenzollern

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel, 

Thanks a lot for your reply. Perhaps he did not have enough front-line hours to warrant the pilot's badge? 

Here is another unknown officer, I think he is wearing the HOH3x on his ribbon bar. 

Major (bianca1978-33, 334407636664).jpg

On 05/05/2022 at 10:03, Daniel Krause said:

very nice!!!

No proper ID at the moment.

Is there a chance, that this is Rudolf von Busse, although he should have a pilots badge from WW1...

Best,

Daniel

Daniel,
    I don't think it is Busse. As far as I know, he did not have the SMK or the AK. He also had both the RM and the ABsM, so there should be two non-wartime round medals but I only see the one.

My best guess is Theodor Kretzschmer.

Based on his rank in WW1, I think the BT3b in his Reichsheer rank list entry is wrong, and it should be a BT4b.

The Albrecht des Bären is the only problem. He does not have it in the 1914 Prussian Army rank list, nor in the Reichsheer rank lists. The Albrecht des Bären is a house order, however, and could have been awarded at any time in the 1920s or 1930s. It would not have had official status, but we have many examples of Wehrmacht officers wearing other 1920s/1930s-era house orders, from the former rulers of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha and Lippe-Detmold, for example.

I'd also note that in the photograph it appears to be a non-swords award, which does not fit its placement after the HOH3X among his wartime awards. Below is the only picture of Kretzschmer I could find.

Kretzschmer-Theodor.jpg.65d894555f55a618333b84cc0107110d.jpg

Edited by Dave Danner

Here is a photo of Konteradmiral z.V. Wilhelm Rhein (close-up from my collection). I think the ribbon on his lapel is the ribbon of the HOH3x he was awarded on 2 November 1918. Can anyone confirm? The only other ribbon that was worn this way was the Spange zum EK2, but I don't think that's what Rhein is wearing because the device of the Spange was much larger and it would be clearly visible even on a photo of this quality.

277796647_1426609874458770_8003285925018598031_n (1).jpg

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

• 3 weeks later...

Hans-Joachim Gravenstein. 

A few things of note: there is a ribbon after the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz and before the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer. By the placement, it should be a WW1 Landesorden, but no other state award appears in his Personalakte other than the HOH3X, ÖM3K and HH. Also, the precedence is messed up since he put the Ostmedaille after the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer. Finally, the last ribbon does not appear in his Personalakte. I believe it is the Deutsches Schutzwallehrenzeichen, which is often missing from Personalakten, since his command was in Koblenz in 1939 and moved to the Westwall on mobilization.

1358922126_GravensteinHans-Joachim.thumb.jpg.3511e94a6846fe2f4b1955bfe29a0a0c.jpg

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...