News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Database with photos of officers showing their knight cross with X of Hohenzollern

• 2 weeks later...
    On 13/09/2021 at 02:30, Mattyboy said:

What a great picture! Do you have any information on his career? Did he maybe serve in the Ulanen-regiment Nr. 9 (1914) and had received the Rettungsmedaille and the SA3b? Thanks! ... Do you happen to know if Generalleutnant Justin von Obernitz was his younger brother?

Edited by Deutschritter

Yes, Justin was his brother.

Kurt was transferred from Husaren-Regiment Nr. 4 to Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 9 on 1.10.1913. During World War I, he was a Bataillons-Kommandeur in Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 221. After the war he was in the 6. Reiter-Regiment and the 14. Reiter-Regiment.

1 hour ago, Dave Danner said:

Yes, Justin was his brother.

Kurt was transferred from Husaren-Regiment Nr. 4 to Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 9 on 1.10.1913. During World War I, he was a Bataillons-Kommandeur in Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 221. After the war he was in the 6. Reiter-Regiment and the 14. Reiter-Regiment.

Thank you, Dave! I saw him in the Rangliste 1926 as Major, in the Rangliste 1931 he couldn't be found, surely he retired as Oberstleutnant (?) ... In the picture above Kurt is Oberst (d. R.?) of the Wehrmacht, but I am not sure, if he took part in WWII. Presumably he went to the Kadettenkorps like his brother. It looks like he was not always by the Kavallerie, but started with the Grenadier-Regiment „König Friedrich III.“ (2. Schlesisches) Nr. 11 ... I hope, I got it right? Joining maybe March/April 1897?

Edited by Deutschritter

3 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Thank you, Dave! I saw him in the Rangliste 1926 as Major, in the Rangliste 1931 he couldn't be found, surely he retired as Oberstleutnant (?) ... In the picture above Kurt is Oberst (d. R.?) of the Wehrmacht, but I am not sure, if he took part in WWII. Presumably he went to the Kadettenkorps like his brother. It looks like he was not always by the Kavallerie, but started with the Grenadier-Regiment „König Friedrich III.“ (2. Schlesisches) Nr. 11 ... I hope, I got it right? Joining maybe March/April 1897?

Kurt von Obernitz was an E-Offizier. He was an Oberst (E) and Kommandeur WBK Eberswalde in the 12.10.1937 Stellenbesetzung, but is not in the 10.11.1938 Stellenbesetzung, so he was probably retired on age grounds (he turned 60 in 1938). Judging by the KVK ribbon, he was recalled in WW2, probably as an Oberst z.V.

The only oddity in the photo is that his Feldspange is missing the ÖM3K.

Hi,

I was able to read the 2nd Reg. Chronik of IR19. I read until March 1915.

He wasn´t mentioned during the description of the activities, not even him being wounded, although this was common practise when officers were involved. HOWEVER: He is mentioned in the 1st list of personell of 6th August 1914 in Görlitz. He is listed as VzFw OA in 8th coy.

So he was drafted as former Einjähriger who was not yet elected Leutnant der Reserve, but served as Vizefeldwebel and officer´s candidate. He seems to havbe stayed with 8th company until wounded sometime in late Dec. or January 1915. As he is listed as Ltn. d. R. in the loss list he must have been promoted to Leutnant between 6th of August 1914 and 25th Feb. 1915, the day his wounded in action status was published in the loss list.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Seems to have been empoyed at Grenzschutz in the East after the war. I can see the Baltenkreuz and the Awaloff-Kreuz. Nice photo. Inbetween the Awaloff and the IC seems to be the Mecklenburger Militärverdienstkreuz 1st class. The wound badge was earned in WW1 but seems a postwar issue.

GreyC

• 2 weeks later...
    • Dave Danner changed the title to Database with photos of officers showing their knight cross with X of Hohenzollern

Just another ribbon bar example - Generalmajor Walther Hoßfeld. Two things of note, though.

First is another example of period mistakes in wear. The ÖM3K is treated as a foreign decoration and placed last after the Schutzwallehrenzeichen, when by then-current regulations it should have been treated as a Landesorden and placed with the other German state awards. And the HOH3X, as a Landesorden, should come after the Ostmedaille.

Second is the presence of the exceedingly rare Silberne Spange to the Großherzoglich Hessisches Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit".

1691792367_HofeldWalther.thumb.jpg.887d040d2d5bb77820fdf3815b4e36ca.jpg

On 21/12/2022 at 22:52, Dave Danner said:

Just another ribbon bar example - Generalmajor Walther Hoßfeld. Two things of note, though.

First is another example of period mistakes in wear. The ÖM3K is treated as a foreign decoration and placed last after the Schutzwallehrenzeichen, when by then-current regulations it should have been treated as a Landesorden and placed with the other German state awards. And the HOH3X, as a Landesorden, should come after the Ostmedaille.

Second is the presence of the exceedingly rare Silberne Spange to the Großherzoglich Hessisches Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit".

1691792367_HofeldWalther.thumb.jpg.887d040d2d5bb77820fdf3815b4e36ca.jpg

very nice, picture I've never seen the Hessen Clasp in wear, or at all. Neal O'Connor stated that only 29 were awarded within the Infantry Regiment Prince Carl.

Regards, 

Chuck