News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Stogie

To be honest, it is the first time I see two EK on a same bar. For me it's not possible but it is my opinion. You were proud to wear an non combattant EK2 .And how it is possible that after he has made action and was rewarded ?  For me stay awary from this bar

Christophe

1 hour ago, VtwinVince said:

These do turn up from time to time, and the statutes allowed for wear of both.

I doubt, that this was according to the regulations, but indeed this unusual and scarce combination is to be found sometimes as a result of an unintended failure of the awarding procedure:

Minor, Walter Schnalle 2x EK2 a.JPG

Minor, Walter Schnalle 2x EK2 r.JPG

Minor, Walter Foto 1915 Ostfront 1 a GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter Foto Reservelazarett III Wiesbaden GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter 1929 Militärdienstbescheinigung GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter 1919_8_18 Urkunde EK 2 am weißen Band GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter Praxisschild.jpg

Great information and back up on this subject. It's certainly opened my eyes on what I thought was a make believe bar. 

3 hours ago, Komtur said:

I doubt, that this was according to the regulations, but indeed this unusual and scarce combination is to be found sometimes as a result of an unintended failure of the awarding procedure:

Minor, Walter Schnalle 2x EK2 a.JPG

Minor, Walter Schnalle 2x EK2 r.JPG

Minor, Walter Foto 1915 Ostfront 1 a GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter Foto Reservelazarett III Wiesbaden GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter 1929 Militärdienstbescheinigung GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter 1919_8_18 Urkunde EK 2 am weißen Band GMIC.jpg

Minor, Walter Praxisschild.jpg

I learned something new. Very interesting for me sure….  

58 minutes ago, CRBeery said:

Not my photo but it is very interesting. Seems all of the dual EK2 bars are post war.

E6183E23-AC1A-44D5-95A3-95A4B18E9D5A.jpeg

Would you please post the entire photo?  Please

I had a couple of document groups where the guy was awarded the EK2 twice. in one case an officer was awarded it twice in 1914... he had changed commands and both commands awarded him the EK2... but it did not mean he could wear two. Another group was a guy who got the postwar EK2 awarded twice as the awarding authority changed and they overlooked the fact that it had been already awarded.

I think there is no official way to wear two. although, if someone had served in GSWA before the war he may have had the the black and white ribbon on the bar... and some collector just swapped out the medals?

I have seen plenty of cases where someone was a awarded a cross on the "non-combatant" ribbon and later received it on the "combatant" ribbon. This happened sometimes if the cross was originally awarded for service in the Heimat and the recipient later went to the front. It also happened because some states changed their criteria, and awarded the "combatant" ribbon for military service in the Etappe or Heimat, in which case the recipient simply applied for a new ribbon and award document. That's one reason why I don't generally use the terms "combatant" and "non-combatant" for these awards.

The Iron Cross 2nd Class was one of those awards which could be given on the black-white for merit in the Heimat. Military personnel assigned to the War Ministry and to Bezirkskommandos and stellv. Generalkommandos, for example, received the black-white ribbon. Thus, for example, a X. Korps Bezirksfeldwebel might have a "combatant" Iron Cross and a Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz on the yellow-blue ribbon, until Braunschweig changed the criteria and allowed him to wear it on the blue-yellow ribbon.

I don't know of any award criteria which allowed one to keep wearing both crosses on the different ribbons. Of course, we have seen plenty of period errors in wear, and after 1918 there weren't any Imperial authorities to tell you not to wear whatever gong you thought you'd earned.

On 28/09/2023 at 19:09, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Admiralstabsintendant Fritz Burmeister was awarded both versions of the EK2 and also the EK1. He can be seen wearing the ribbons of both EK2's in this photo.

Fritz Burmeister (2).jpg

What a great picture! Can you report anything on his life? Did he study law? And where? When did he join the navy? Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, Deutschritter said:

What a great picture! Can you report anything on his life? Did he study law? And where? When did he join the navy? Thank you!!!

See here: https://web.archive.org/web/20091027104257/http://geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/KRIEGSMARINE/Vizeadmirals/BURMEISTER_FRITZ.html

2 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Yes, thank you, but nothing about before his naval service. Do you happen to have this whole page? If yes, could you publish it? Thanks! 

47352488_2327817494106755_1219121476217602048_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
    On 02/10/2023 at 13:42, Dave Danner said:

Thus, for example, a X. Korps Bezirksfeldwebel might have a "combatant" Iron Cross and a Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz on the yellow-blue ribbon, until Braunschweig changed the criteria and allowed him to wear it on the blue-yellow ribbon.

Dave, I have a short question. I read, the Braunschweigisches Kriegsverdienstkreuz was only awarded to citizens of Braunschweig, but I have seen many Prussians and so on receive it. Was there ever such a regulation, and if yes, when was it revised? Thank you! 

I know of no award off the top of my head which was restricted to only citizens of a certain state. Generally, the main criteria were citizenship of the state, service in that state's military units, or service in a unit otherwise connected to the state (such as where the state's ruler was Chef or Inhaber). As the war went on, actual practice was also relaxed - someone who might have been rejected in 1915 might have been approved in 1918.

For Braunschweig in particular, non-citizens of all ranks in IR 92, HR 17 and 2./FAR 46 would routinely be considered for awards, since those were Braunschweig formations. Officer and selected other ranks in HR 3 and the Bavarian 1. Schweres Reiter-Regiment, the regiments to which Ernst August was à la suite, would also be routinely considered. Command and staff officers of units and commands to which a sufficient number of Braunschweigers were attached would also be considered.

On the flip side, it should be noted that citizenship in a state was often necessary, but not always sufficient. If you were a citizen of a state, but had spent most of your adult/working life outside the state, it was common for an award recommendation to be rejected. If your reasons for living elsewhere were outside your control, such as for professional soldiers and civil servants, that was not held against you, though.