News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Beautiful example of a rare award Wild Card. 

I would be very interested in discovering where the figure of 16 awarded to women comes from? As I recall, the award figures for this decoration are a subject of some debate, ranging from double digits to the low hundreds. Has a medal roll been discovered and/or published?

The reason for my interest is that I own a medal bar - shown here - with this Oldenburg decoration alongside the Schwarzburg Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen, the latter being bestowed solely upon women. I have always held out a faint hope that such a unique combination of rare awards may one day prove identifiable to the original recipient. 

Kind regards

PS: Incidentally, my example is also hallmarked on the back with what looks to be a 950, although I do not have it in hand to check. Examples without hallmarks are also seen - apparently production varied between bronze gilt and silver gilt.

IMG_20181222_111103.jpg

IMG_20181222_111130.jpg

Edited by redeagleorder

BlackcowboyBS and redeagleorder thank you for your kind comments.

With regard to your question redeagleorder - In his book “Der Hausorden und die Tragbaren Ehrenzeichen des Grossherzogtums Oldenburg 1813 - 1918”, Friedhelm Beyreiss states that 50 pieces were delivered by Knauer. Of these, eighteen were awarded; and of those, two were awarded to men, the remaining  sixteen, of course,  to women.

I would not be terribly concerned about how your medals are mounted. Inasmuch as this bar would have been assembled from 1934 onwards, we know how by that time the old Imperial guidelines were not strictly followed. Hopefully you will get access to the Schwarzburg Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen rolls to solve this mystery. Please keep us posted!

Regards,

Wild Card

Thank you Wild Card for the source of the information - much appreciated! In 2013 Dave Danner had confirmed to me on this forum that a list of recipients of the Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen for each of the two Schwarzburg states exists in the archives. Maybe someday after this COVID matter is over...

Regards

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    On 01/01/2021 at 13:18, 91-old-inf-reg said:

A miniatur vor dem feinde spange for a feldspange and the paper envelope of the Friedrich August kreuz II klasse

IMG_0706 (1).jpg

IMG_0704 (1).jpg

IMG_0696 (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

The Miniature is a very nice find. I recently came across an advertisement for the New! Spangen for the Friedrich August Cross from what i believe must have been a sales company.

Regards,

Chuck

Oldenburg Zeitung fur Volk und Heimat 5NOV18 Nr303 CF Hartmann.png

1 minute ago, chuck said:

The Miniature is a very nice find. I recently came across an advertisement for the New! Spangen for the Friedrich August Cross from what i believe must have been a sales company.

Regards,

Chuck

Oldenburg Zeitung fur Volk und Heimat 5NOV18 Nr303 CF Hartmann.png

This very well could be the case. However, if my memory serves me, that the “Vor Dem Feinde” spange was not so much awarded but was available for purchase by the soldier who was awarded the FAK2. 

For instance, in Oblt. Gert Pflugradt’s book, just about every officer who was awarded the FAK2 is listed as being awarded the “OF2 Sp.”, even to officers who died before the spange was introduced. In my opinion I think it was printed that way because they where eligible for it, but may or may not have purchased it. 

For example, here is the entry for the Lt. later General Wilhelm Conze:

1B283940-6389-4B49-800D-3AFD0D0316FF.thumb.jpeg.cf23def8860151f3e72b8ca57654358d.jpeg

and his medal bar:

67710BD8-9326-42B4-BAA0-24623BB4457C.thumb.jpeg.3a0a823ec7e22364d88979c744dc142f.jpeg

best regards,

Dan

2 hours ago, 91-old-inf-reg said:

This very well could be the case. However, if my memory serves me, that the “Vor Dem Feinde” spange was not so much awarded but was available for purchase by the soldier who was awarded the FAK2.

Awards for merit on the battlefront from 20 September 1918 (the date the clasp was authorized) on would be with the clasp. If one already had the cross for merit on the battlefront, your memory serves you right: it was up to the individual to obtain the clasp himself. From the Großherzogliche Militärkanzlei:

"Eine Nachlieferung der Spange für Verdienste in der Kampffront findet nicht statt, es bleibt dem einzelnen überlassen, sich diese selbst zu beschaffen."