News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A friend of mine wrote:

the lid and pushers do not fit at all to a jug of the Bavarian infantry from this time. The coat of arms on the pusher is a rather washed-out Bavarian state coat of arms, on which, however, the royal crown is missing. Also the pictures look to me like the pictures, which I know from - quite well made - repro jugs from the 70s and 80s. Even if Ludwig II. today has a "fairytale-like" meaning, one would have attached in this time only a portrait of the current ruler as a ground picture. I therefore find it strange that the jug from 1899 shows a picture of Ludwig II. A portrait of Prince Regent Luitpold would actually belong there. The mentally ill Otto I would probably not have been depicted. And the Prince Regent was already quite admired and transfigured at that time. Chris should try to find out whether the name and the regiment are painted on or printed on. If they were painted on, the piece could possibly be real, but it would certainly have had a new lid at some point.  A jug of the Infantry Body Regiment would also express the pride of having served in that particular regiment through a special illustration and not through a standard illustration that would fit any infantry regiment. But you can only say that with ultimate consistency once you have held the good piece in your hand. 180 € are a bit too expensive for that, such a repro jug is usually traded between 50 and 100 € today. The page "Reservistenkrugsammler.de" is good, because the texts and pictures are written by Wolfgang Gult, who is known to me as THE expert and reservist jug collector from the Gesellschaft für Heereskunde

Did you ask Wolfgang Gult?

Edited by The Prussian

25 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

A friend of mine wrote:

The page "Reservistenkrugsammler.de" is good, because the texts and pictures are written by Wolfgang Gult, who is known to me as THE expert and reservist jug collector from the Gesellschaft für Heereskunde

Did you ask Wolfgang Gult?

Hi,

I just had a long conversation with Wolfgang Gult ;-) ... here is what I found out....

he said absolutely typical of a Krug around 1900 and earlier. The Ludwig II pics were almost a tradition, he was the "rock star" of his era and is a popular image up until today. After his death he still appeared everywhere as he was well loved, and on Krugs long after his death. The sites who mention the LII pics on fakes do not mean they were not very comman back then, but rather they are also very often used now, (IMHO an unfortunate formulation).

The lid is fine, pusher included, the boring "pointy" lids are also typical of the pre 1900 Krugs... they had by then started with more decorative ones and later you basically only find the nicer lids, but this early it was normal to have a pointy, this being the classic with minor variations over the years.

Many Krug collectors pass these early ones by, but apparently there are collectors who concentrate on them as there was more hand work involved back then, the later Krugs having more print with less painting than the earlier ones. These earlier ones have all the specifics (Regt, Name etc) all painted on.

The earlier Krugs did in fact have a standard motif that was then adapted by hand by the painter, so the same Krug can be found for the Leib Regt and any other Infantry Regiment... the later Krugs (beginning 20th Century) began to add specific things for different Regiments /Preprinted carracks, Shoulder Boards etc...).

So all is fine, this is a boring late 19th century one, most literature and collectors ignore them and concentrate on the "next Generation" 20th century ones...

And I got an invite to visit and see his Private museum.

I will use it to drink a beer tonight and retire it to its shelf ;-)

• 1 month later...
    • 9 months later...

Hello!

I have a post card taken just days before the Battle of the Ardennes in 1914
    From the fieldpost stamp and the date I am guessing they are in the 4th Army about to enter Belgium and wanted to send off a fond farewell to their families or pals back home. Looks like they had expected to reach Paris. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Ravs

Lrg WWI Postcard German Parole Paris 1914 Back.jpg

WWI Postcard German Parole Paris 1914 - Version 2.jpg

WWI Postcard German Parole Paris 1914 Back - Version 2.jpg

Hi,

Herrn

H. Goldbach

Berlin (Reinickendorf)

Schiller-Promenade 51

Metz, d. 18.8.14

die besten Grüße aus Metz sendet dein Bruder Richard.

Bin hier nach 46 1/2 Stunden Fahrt angekommen. Von hier aus geht es weiter. Wohin (unbestimmt)

Viele Grüße an Deine Frau und den H. Heinz (?)

• 1 month later...
    41 minutes ago, Deruelle said:

Hi,

I have another  name to decypher .Thanks for your help

image.png.41491211aa5350b8455f00afae685c60.png

Leutnant JB 13. Diend ln 15 March 1917

Christophe

I read

Ehrlich, Max Conrad

??

Edited by Utgardloki

Lt.d.R. Conrad Ehrlich, *11.11.1889 in Dresden, was killed in action on 15.3.1917 in Macedonia. He was a Prussian officer, however. He was promoted to Lt.d.R. (Hagen i.W.) in Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 7 on 14.7.1915, and was killed in action while serving with Radfahr-Bataillon Nr. 4. He received the Schaumburg-Lippe Kreuz für Treue Dienste on 23.9.1915.