News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

7 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

We had a Feldartillerie-Regiment 277 and a Fußartillerie-Batterie 277.

FA normally stands for Feldartillerie

Hi, 

he wrote Hauptmann und Abteilungsführer ?

Regards

Andreas

22 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

We had a Feldartillerie-Regiment 277 and a Fußartillerie-Batterie 277.

FA normally stands for Feldartillerie

Yes and Feldartillerie regiments were formed of two Abteilungen the Foot Artillery were formed of Bataillonen

47 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

Would anyone like to take a punt at the name? Because I'm stumped! 

The first part of the name to me looks like Meyer followed by something in the range of korbach. Just my two cents.

On 08/05/2020 at 19:13, Mattyboy said:

Hi Andreas, 
    Thanks for your reply. 

Hi David, 
    I'm not sure. But the man's name should give the answer providing it can be deciphered.

I was hoping to find  out his name by deciphering the unit ?

Hi,

I second the reading of the name. It is not in the original Ehrenrangliste index. You´ll find it in the seperately published annex, of 1929, which contains additional names and corrections. Here the name is listed on p1296 and gives his name as on p. 598 in the Ehrenrangliste. The only Meyer (without -Burckhardt) on that page is listed as Major a.D. (1926), who began the war as Oberleutnant within the Festungs-Fernsprech-Kompanie Nr. 4 at Straßburg. So if it is really the same guy he switched unit during the war, which was not unusual.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

• 2 months later...

Zum Andenken v. Kriege 1914/15
    Lebe Wohl auf Wiedersehen

Bin immer gesund glücklich und guten Humors. Wir haben schönes warmes Wetter es fängt schon alles an zu wachsen. Die Sehnsucht nach der Heimat wird deshalb immer größer. Gestern nachts hatten wir eine sehr gefährliche Arbeit. Zwischen unserer Stellung und der Feindlichen mußten wir ein Drahthindernis ziehen unter beständigem Feuer. Bin wieder glücklich durchgekommen es gab zwei tote u(nd) 20 verwundete. Wir dürfen überall von einem großen Glück sagen wenn uns die Franzosen bemerkt hätten wären wir sicher nicht gut weggekommen
    Liebe Sabina: (can't decipher that at the moment....?) meinem verwüstem Gesicht? meine Flinte in der Hand hat mir schon oft mein Leben geretet. Sei recht herzlich gegrüßt und lebe Wohl auf freudiges Wiedersehen dein lieber Ludwig

58 minutes ago, Utgardloki said:

Zum Andenken v. Kriege 1914/15
    Lebe Wohl auf Wiedersehen

Bin immer gesund glücklich und guten Humors. Wir haben schönes warmes Wetter es fängt schon alles an zu wachsen. Die Sehnsucht nach der Heimat wird deshalb immer größer. Gestern nachts hatten wir eine sehr gefährliche Arbeit. Zwischen unserer Stellung und der Feindlichen mußten wir ein Drahthindernis ziehen unter beständigem Feuer. Bin wieder glücklich durchgekommen es gab zwei tote u(nd) 20 verwundete. Wir dürfen überall von einem großen Glück sagen wenn uns die Franzosen bemerkt hätten wären wir sicher nicht gut weggekommen
    Liebe Sabina: (can't decipher that at the moment....?) meinem verwüstem Gesicht? meine Flinte in der Hand hat mir schon oft mein Leben geretet. Sei recht herzlich gegrüßt und lebe Wohl auf freudiges Wiedersehen dein lieber Ludwig

I read: Liebe Sabrina: Habe ich doch noch das k... mit meinem ... Gefühl ? ...

Ich glaube ich muss da noch ein bisschen enträtseln, aber hat Utgardloki gut übersetzt

Wow thank you very much! What a great piece of text! Usually postcards just say “Just writing to say hello and tell mother that I got her package. All is well here. Tell brother I said hi.” 
    but this was a nice snapshot of the common dangers and bravery. Thank you gents! 

Hello again Gents! 
    I am having trouble with the first name here. I think the Last name is Eckle? And the first name starts with an H and please correct me if I am wrong but it appears to end with a “u”?

Thanks so much, I’m trying to do these myself but the old script can be a bit challenging.

EEB7804A-EEEA-4853-8A47-4A986D12F4EF.jpeg

Ideally, the line to indicate a double letter should be straight, while the line to indicate a "u" rather than a "ü" should be curved. Writers weren't always that careful, though. See, for example, the recommendation below. In the first few cases, such as "wurde", the "u" is similar to the double "n" of Wiedemann, although the writer got better toward the bottom.

Weidemann.thumb.jpg.ad282e9f430eb0aea222380bbe8588c9.jpg

Hello

Who can help me to decypher this. The unit is the Reserve Jäger Btn 26

I can't read the name after the cross on the right

and the second one I can't read the name of the General

Thanks per advance

Christophe

PhotoScan4.jpg

PhotoScan6.jpg

Hi,

the first name is General Boehn (inspecting the Res. Jäger Bataillon),

the Generalleutnant´s name below is Wilhelmi.

Best,,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

The line to double letters was used to increase readability (at least that's what I heard) and I personally think that is true. I tend to use it in my own handwriting sometimes. I even saw it with more that one letter, e.g. "Reiter" with line over "er" to indicate it is "Reiterer"

• 1 month later...