News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 76
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad to see what greed will lead a person to do.

The medal groups of Independent India (1947 onwards) suffer the same fate all of the time. Of course one can understand it a bit more considering the average income in India; however, I would hazard to say this is just a matter of maximizing profit at the cost of history. It is just disgusting.

Regards

Brian

I've sent the seller a message pointing out the error of his ways and suggesting that he relists the complete group. May I ask all of you to do the same in a polite way. We may yet be able to get him to change his mind on this.

Cheers,

Mike

I sent him one too!

the best thing to do is not to bid on items from this seller. Maybe he will understand. I know I'm dreaming :rolleyes:.

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

I wish that would work, however, the item would sell anyway except the seller would not make as much. I hope he will listen to the members and relist the group as one.

A year or more ago I was in an antiques store and the dealer was selling some military documents all named to one recipient. He had broken them up and when I said that I thought he should have kept them together he got very nasty and suggested it was his business and he would make as much profit as possible. Well, he did, as I purhcased every one. I will never realize my money back even if I were to keep them for 50 years. They are not documents that I would have normally purchased but they remain together and that was my point of purchasing the lot. You would have thought he could have given me some sort of discount as I purchased the lot but no; once again greed won out.

Regards

Brian

She's getting all bitchy now. Have you seen her latest additions to the comments. I have sent a message explaining that eBay frowns on private offers being made. Better that she lists the group as one and it will find it's price that way.

Mike

Ditto, got a fairly snarky and vague response.

Hi Christophe,

I wish that would work, however, the item would sell anyway except the seller would not make as much. I hope he will listen to the members and relist the group as one.

A year or more ago I was in an antiques store and the dealer was selling some military documents all named to one recipient. He had broken them up and when I said that I thought he should have kept them together he got very nasty and suggested it was his business and he would make as much profit as possible. Well, he did, as I purhcased every one. I will never realize my money back even if I were to keep them for 50 years. They are not documents that I would have normally purchased but they remain together and that was my point of purchasing the lot. You would have thought he could have given me some sort of discount as I purchased the lot but no; once again greed won out.

Regards

Brian

This kind of situation happens more often than any of us like. And this “woman” has comments/responses that are similar to that of a hostage taker.

Its like someone abducting children and threatening to send them back one piece at a time if we don't pay the ransom. I'm beginning to think that we all need to take Hostage Negotiation training.

Maybe, if there are any law enforcement collectors among us, they can give us some pointers. It’s frustrating to watch this criminality without an effect response.

Perhaps ebay should be notified that she is soliciting offers, maybe that can stop her...for a while. But then she may just cut the thing up all up and send the pieces to ebay.

Someone should tell her that the combined value may be larger than the sum of the individual pieces.

... Someone should tell her that the combined value may be larger than the sum of the individual pieces.

That exactly I wrote her. Therfore it makes nowadays no sense to sell the single decorations. To split such a group is very very very sad for us collectors, especially if we are interested in bars, but it is NOT a criminal behavior in human society :shame:

Regards, Komtur.

To split such a group is very very very sad for us collectors, especially if we are interested in bars, but it is NOT a criminal behavior in human society :shame:

Regards, Komtur.

True. There is no law against splitting up a group of medals that belonged to one person-that I know of. But in general there is a moral indignation to the wanton destruction of art or history that belongs to world. The same feeling when the former government of Afghanistan destroyed the largest Buddha figures in world from the Bamyan valley. Or the loss of Egyptian, or Mayan antiquities to looting or neglect. There are many other examples and this is perhaps a very, very small transgression, but it is nevertheless grievous to those that can "read" a roll of medals.

That exactly I wrote her. Therfore it makes nowadays no sense to sell the single decorations. To split such a group is very very very sad for us collectors, especially if we are interested in bars, but it is NOT a criminal behavior in human society :shame:

Regards, Komtur.

In some countries sex with barnyard animals is legal.... But you still wont convince me its right... :rolleyes: :shame:

In some countries sex with barnyard animals is legal.... But you still wont convince me its right... :rolleyes::shame:

I never said, it is RIGHT to split up a medal bar, because it isn´t from MY POINT OF VIEW. But it is not wrong or moral dubious for about 99 % of humans on earth and it is NOWHERE an criminal act.

We know, what a medalbar can tell about history or a person and we should give this knowledge to others. May be some more people then care about these things. But in MHO we can not assume, that all the others around have our knowledge or our point of view to compare a medalbar with a shrine or Egyptian antiquities.

Kind regards, Komtur.

Has anyone made her an offer or suggested a reserve? It seems to me that would be a much more positive approach.

I would make an offer, but unfortunately this bar is not of my spezial interest and another point is the custom makes a 19% plus for me.

Regards, Komtur.