News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show the best/most favorite item in your collection

It seems like not much is going on here so let's try something new. Show the best or your most favorite piece in your collection and explain why it is your best or most favorite. This is not limited to medal, anything is acceptable. So I will start.

Below is the ribbon bar to Admiral Doctor med. Josef Freymadl. This is the first ribbon bar I ID its owner all by myself. Even Rick L. was not able to do the ID. Although I have sold almost all of my collection I held on to this piece.

Copy of freymadl dn.jpg

Freymadl Picture.jpg

The above photo must be pre-1913 as WWI decorations and the Bavarian Jubilee are not on the medal bar. 

My favourite piece with a connection to Germany is this medalbar.

P1030981.thumb.jpg.0a17f91fa780ecb95846c2ca80c6a949.jpg

But my favourite piece in all categories is this Finnish medal. 

The merit cross of the white wall of Ingria, only awarded twice (2 times!). 

This one was never awarded and is unfortunately damaged in the enamel. 

P1030982.thumb.jpg.5bf25cb6e362dc3b7979b073c63b5b31.jpg

Very nice groups fellows. Mine is more of a work-a-day group of Colonial German medals. The two photographs are not associated with the medals themselves. The group would indicate to me that after his military service he was in the civil service, if I am incorrect please advise me as this is not my area of knowledge.

Regards

Brian

Colonial German display.JPG

Hi Paul,

Good idea you have there. Here is my favourite group. Items from an officer of the Saxon Jäger Bataillon Nr. 13. Only two officers received these combo. Leutnant Paul Hederich (died in 1916) and the last one Oberleutnant Georg Graf Vitzthum v.Eckstädt (died in 1945).

Christophe

20200401_150509_copy_1612x2149.jpg

20200401_151701_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Very nice stuff gentlemen!

One of my favorite items are these two ribbon bars to Sergeant Wilhelm Reddig (Thanks again for the ID Daniel!). He got the MEZ2 and MEZ1 in Southwest-Africa. As far as I know only 200 MEZ1 were awarded for service in the colonies. 

IMG_20191022_155115.jpg

IMG_20191030_163016.jpg

In looking through my German collection I realised just how many groups and individual medals I really liked. I do tend to purchase only those I like rather than attempting to get one of every type of medal  issued. Not that there is anything wrong with that as a quick look around the collection room would prove me a hypocrite if I were implying there was anything wrong with one of each type.

With that in mind I decided to pick out no more than two groups that I would hate to sell almost no matter what.  Here they are. not the most glorious of groups I am sure but the ones I like the most.

Regards

Brian

German medal group 1.JPG

German medal group 2.JPG

This was my first medalbar plus ring which I purchased many many moons ago. Well, unfortunately, my dog ate the award documents, Militärpass, and couple photographs belonging to this lot from a German soldier (Infantry Regiment) from Würzburg - Unterfranken/Bavaria. 

IMG_6208.thumb.jpg.6f98514b40dd4d1191b3d0a80e0182d1.jpg

IMG_6209.thumb.jpg.f03c3b5ae1e98b94949d43d8249d0913.jpg

Edited by SovPha

4 hours ago, laurentius said:

Although it might look bleak compared to the other pieces in this thread, the Saxon-style Frackspange in my collection is still my favourite piece.

IMG-20190524-WA0015.thumb.jpg.92819778e0039e558d84cc0853686c73.jpg

I don't think you can claim "bleak" when having these

Well, there are many medal bars I like in my collection... but this one it is one of the best I have... 

PS: BTW I am still missing a PLM in my collection!

fullsizeoutput_118a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_118b.jpeg

But this could well be the most important in my collection... medal bar of the 1st GFM of the 3rd Reich!

;)

IMG_0903 - Versione 2.jpg

IMG_0905.JPG

werner-von-blomberg-dyydh3.jpg

Those are some beautiful bars Claudio and Mike and thanks for posting them.

Mike to you know who your bar belonged to? What is the third decoration from the right?

Edited by Paul C

40 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Those are some beautiful bars Claudio and Mike and thanks for posting them.

Mike to you know who your bar belonged to? What is the third decoration from the right?

looks like an Austrian Order of Leopold

Edited by OvBacon